Author Topic: Discharge Vegan?  (Read 3425 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Discharge Vegan?
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
Sooooooooo..... First off, I want to start by apologizing if anyone is vegan and my ignorance is offending. I know NOTHING about it except in my head it is just a extreme form of vegetarian, which is so far from my wheel house it isn't even funny. So again, if my ignorance offends, I really am sorry it is not my intention.

We have a customer that is a vegan restaurant and has always requested plastisol ink because their previous printer said it was vegan. Ok, we went with it because I didn't care to look into it. We are running a local promotion to help any businesses effected by COVID 19. With this promotion for the sake of efficiency and sanity for us we are printing everything discharge. Anyone know if discharge ink is vegan????
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: Discharge Vegan?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 10:47:58 AM »
Go water base. Use Permaset since they are GOTS approved. If no Permaset on hand use any water base you have. Vegan is not just food related but a way of life. Not to sound cliche. I know Eric on here can chime in as well.

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
What Brandon said

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 10:58:10 AM »
Vegan pretty much means merely not containing any animal products (hence no dairy, etc, in food)
I bet that most inks qualify.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »
Go water base. Use Permaset since they are GOTS approved. If no Permaset on hand use any water base you have. Vegan is not just food related but a way of life. Not to sound cliche. I know Eric on here can chime in as well.

The whole basis of what we are doing is streamlining all the printing, no ink changes, color changes, shirt changes, just business name changes. It is important it is the same ink color and "look" across the board to present a sense of unity. So while a waterbased ink would be 100% much preferred to use over a plastisol one, it 'effs with the plan we have going.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 11:27:47 AM »
Just use discharge. Honestly unless the ink is edible what goes into the production of it I don't think most ink companies are "green" whatever that means. Unless they are running solar power and all that. That's a whole other discussion.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 11:38:18 AM »
Just use discharge. Honestly unless the ink is edible what goes into the production of it I don't think most ink companies are "green" whatever that means. Unless they are running solar power and all that. That's a whole other discussion.

Kinda what I was assuming, but I also didn't know if there was some vegan guidelines I would be violating.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »

I think the idea behind ink being "vegan" is that no animal by products are used in it, and no animal testing is done. I had asked this question about a year ago, and although i think it's a stupid stupid stupid thing to ask (and i consider myself vegan), i believe i was told HSA is vegan, as well as low solids WB.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »

Kinda what I was assuming, but I also didn't know if there was some vegan guidelines I would be violating.

Your existence violates vegan guidelines.  Kidding.

I will say this, at least your customer sticks to their position.  I did a large order for an environmental group a number of years ago and they didn't want to spend the extra money to get organic shirts.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
Oh yeah. I have a lot of those stories from my previous print shop in Seattle.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
Our largest buyer of USA made textiles?

Not the construction companies, not the car clubs, not the sheriff not the police....

a punk rock record company. And no small amount either.

As always, doing the cool thing before it was cool.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »
Our largest buyer of USA made textiles?

Not the construction companies, not the car clubs, not the sheriff not the police....

a punk rock record company. And no small amount either.

As always, doing the cool thing before it was cool.

Is it AT? Awesome

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
Fat wrecks

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
Fat wrecks

Damn. That must be a lot of merch

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 06:27:11 AM »

This page state they are vegan(above the photo "Vegan Babe"). Stating "Permaset Aqua inks are vegan.  They have not been tested on animals, nor do Permaset inks contain any animal products."

https://www.permaset.com.au/why-water-based-inks/permaset-aqua/