Author Topic: Foil Pros, I need your help.  (Read 1326 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Foil Pros, I need your help.
« on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
I haven't done this before, but I have a client that wants a simple white logo and underneath the logo a foil lettering.  Its 1000 shirts, and I don't want to quote this wrong.

Do I:
1- White base
2-Flash
3- Top White
4- Flash
6- Adhesive glue

Send it through the dryer
press foil.

My concern is when we press the foil I don't want to melt our plastisol when we go to press the foil.  Its a full chest logo about 12" tall and 2" letters under the logo.

I don't just want to press the foil area, as that will make for a lot of setup time and possible leave a pressure mark on the bottom half of the shirt where its being pressed.

We are running a 6 color automatic and a 16x20 Geo Knight DK20 swing heat press.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Foil Pros, I need your help.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
Ideally use discharge for the white, and we're finding more and more that p/f/p of the adhesive works better
for a lot of foil colors, especially with fine detail and/or large coverage.

With just plastisol for the white I don't see a way around the problems you've described, your best bet
being just pressing the foil area and doing what you can to mitigate pressure marks. IE use a spacer
to raise the area you want pressed above the area you don't.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 12:42:26 PM »
Ideally use discharge for the white, and we're finding more and more that p/f/p of the adhesive works better
for a lot of foil colors, especially with fine detail and/or large coverage.

With just plastisol for the white I don't see a way around the problems you've described, your best bet
being just pressing the foil area and doing what you can to mitigate pressure marks. IE use a spacer
to raise the area you want pressed above the area you don't.

this!

if you have to use plastisol, what's the problem with pressing the whole thing? Plastisol will smooth out, but the print will be fine. It will feel like a transfer.
cut a small pieces to put on the bottom above the lettering and press everything. easy peasy!

I would definitely use pfp of glue (as eb said), but we normally flash and take off the press. It does not go through the dryer.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 04:28:31 PM »
As has been noted:  PFP the adhesive.  Superior results.

Use either a textured teflon sheet or craft paper to keep the plastisol from getting shiny under the heat press.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
Does the foil not adhere to the plastisol ink when the foil is applied?

I was told that is does and should use waterbase inks where you did not want foil to adhere. That could be wrong info I was told.

I am just asking as clarification, not providing information. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 04:44:06 PM »
As has been noted:  PFP the adhesive.  Superior results.

Use either a textured teflon sheet or craft paper to keep the plastisol from getting shiny under the heat press.

Teflon sheet can actually add a slightly textured shine to plastisol. Craft paper is much better to reduce this effect.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 08:36:21 PM »
Does the foil not adhere to the plastisol ink when the foil is applied?

I was told that is does and should use waterbase inks where you did not want foil to adhere. That could be wrong info I was told.

I am just asking as clarification, not providing information.

OP mentioned that the foil would go under the print with a gap between them.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:06:11 PM »
Side note, virus foil adhesive is the best stuff on earth. 
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Biverson

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 12:54:10 AM »
Side note, virus foil adhesive is the best stuff on earth.
I second this.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com