Author Topic: High Density Printing  (Read 2472 times)

Offline zanegun08

High Density Printing
« on: July 16, 2020, 06:47:49 PM »
Anyone have some tips or tricks for achieving quality high density printing, especially with the ability to print on auto?  Although Manual is fine as well.

Pics are not the greatest, but looking for a nice sharp edge, and to be a millimeter or so thick.

We can make the screens, I think we struggle with the ink and technique, any fool proof way to produce quality HD prints even on auto?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: High Density Printing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 07:59:21 AM »
We tried it back when it was the rage, and had a couple of good results, but no takers because of the cost. We printed a base of X microns (can't remember, sorry) flashed it, then printed a second screen of the same image, but slightly choked, so it would sit on top of the first one, and not get "plugged" by the first one, and flash it. Then we printed colors on top of that layer. It was probably around 2mm tall/thick...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
Quick tips....try 400 micron cap film (high tension mesh screen!) and back then we used some liquid and dry(cavosil) additives to thicken the ink to a paste-like consistency. The goal is loft with smooth definition and no mesh marks. Be prepared for some trial and error and yes.....quite often cost prohibitive. Common mistake is to only surface cure the ink which can result in poor washfastness and "collapsed souffle" prints. Sorry to be short and sweet but all shops differ your results may vary!
tp

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
I still have some thick/fat film from back in the day, don't think it's any good anymore, lots of people like it but not willing to pay for it.  Our go to for cheap was adding puff in the ink.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:29:08 PM »
Just don't sneeze when working with dry cavosil :o
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 03:08:33 PM »
Or just wear a mask, Barth! :P

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D....got that right!

Just my opinion....back when I was doing HD, International Coatings was the best ink. Our HD had a regular plastisol underbase to sit on and we always stacked it for height. Fun to print but no one really wanted to pay the extra cost for it.
Dale Hoyal

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 04:05:21 PM »
Correct, HD falls into the "can you/should" you category for many. One of the reasons it fell out of favor for many.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 04:09:09 PM »
Thin Thread
Thickeners if needed
Higher tension mesh
A thick enough stencil that the ink will transfer - it gets tricky around 400 microns
a plastisol base to print on top of is VERY helpful
Slow print stroke
possibly p/f/p depending.

Kelly should be able to walk you through most of this.  Is he available?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
Thin Thread
Thickeners if needed
Higher tension mesh
A thick enough stencil that the ink will transfer - it gets tricky around 400 microns
a plastisol base to print on top of is VERY helpful
Slow print stroke
possibly p/f/p depending

We have all that besides S Thread,

I think a thicker ink, and doing multiple screens with choking back each one a bit so it doesn't bleed out would be the best option.

Fortunately for this customer we are going to do a puff, but it would be a good skill to learn long term.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 12:09:05 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D....got that right!

Just my opinion....back when I was doing HD, International Coatings was the best ink. Our HD had a regular plastisol underbase to sit on and we always stacked it for height. Fun to print but no one really wanted to pay the extra cost for it.

Yes, we bought a little 4 color sample kit from them. It ended up being one those "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" moments.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't