Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
What am I doing wrong?
« on: November 16, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »
Below is a screen shot of my problem. What I am trying to do is sum how many of a specific character is with in a cell or with in a range. The reason why is I have a spread sheet from a customer with over 2K player numbers needed. I need to know how many of each specific digit there is so I can order pre cut numbers accordingly. Many of the player numbers are even triple digit, its for a boot camp.

I am practicing how to do the formula but I am messing up some how ie the error. It may be because I am using open office and the syntax is different? Or did I forget something completely?

"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 10:32:38 AM »
My wife is going through the same thing right now with a spread sheet trying to print out on 8.5 x 11 paper and getting half cut off, we hate when people send crap on spread sheets
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline aauusa

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 10:41:37 AM »
The formula is =LEN(CELL LOCATION)    If item is in cell a3  and you want the answer in cell b3  the in cell b3 place the formula =len(a3).

Offline aauusa

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »
looking back at what you are trying to do this is what you need to do.  all names need to be in 1 cell,  then you can make a list of letters on the side for you letter selection and the enter this formula

=LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,G2,""))    A2 is the cell with all names  g2 is where the letter to be counted is located(off to the side)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 11:25:22 AM »
looking back at what you are trying to do this is what you need to do.  all names need to be in 1 cell,  then you can make a list of letters on the side for you letter selection and the enter this formula

=LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,G2,""))    A2 is the cell with all names  g2 is where the letter to be counted is located(off to the side)

You are very close but even with your exact formula I am still getting an error. In your example what are you counting?
"No man is an island"

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
My wife is going through the same thing right now with a spread sheet trying to print out on 8.5 x 11 paper and getting half cut off, we hate when people send crap on spread sheets

We get them daily, never created to be printed just on screen visual. What I do is start deleting columns and rows not needed, decrease font sizes, squeeze cell widths to remove empty space, and auto wrap everything. Then in print preview you can scale the entire document till it fits on a single sheet.
"No man is an island"

Offline aauusa

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 11:35:14 AM »

You are very close but even with your exact formula I am still getting an error. In your example what are you counting?

I am counting the letter A in cell A2,  and you designate which letter to count in the last cell in the formula G2.

The formula works here is a screen shot of counting a list of letters for letter A  and C

Offline aauusa

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 11:42:50 AM »
forgot to mention lower and uppercase matters

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »

Thanks
I am counting the letter A in cell A2,  and you designate which letter to count in the last cell in the formula G2.

The formula works here is a screen shot of counting a list of letters for letter A  and C

Ok my bad, I have figured it out. It was an Open Office issue, for some reason it gives a bracketing error. I redid it on a laptop with Excel and it worked. I was actually right on my first attempt but Open Office fooled me. I like your approach better using the list on the side for easier organization.
"No man is an island"

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 09:08:38 AM »
Stahls.com has Number/Character calculators on their website (assuming the number sequences are sequential).  Great for Teams/League type stuff.  (and when your help can't count past 12 for some reason, but that story is for a different time)

https://www.stahls.com/hp-character-calculator