Computers and Software > Raster and Vector Manipulation Programs, and How to Do Stuff in Them.

Raster Images in Corel Draw

(1/2) > >>

tbarnes:
Greetings all,

We have a shop that is doing some affiliate work for us that uses Corel Draw, my shop only uses adobe products and our clients send us raster images almost exclusively. We look at our seps in photoshop to make any adjustments, and then we link it to an illustrator file where our art boards are made for determining placement. We then use that file to output to our RIP software and then the DTS machines, pretty standard stuff.

We send said illy files to this affiliate for them to output, but they crash the Corel Draw program. When I send them over as PDF's (what they requested) they show up as bitmapped images, and he said he is unable to output them as is. He claims that only vector files are compatible with Corel. I did a google search, and it looks like you can use raster images with Corel, but I have never used it and am not well versed.

Does anyone have any experience converting raster images made in adobe software into something compatible with Corel Draw without totally recreating the artwork?

Thanks in advance

Frog:

--- Quote from: tbarnes on September 03, 2020, 10:49:36 AM ---Greetings all,

We have a shop that is doing some affiliate work for us that uses Corel Draw, my shop only uses adobe products and our clients send us raster images almost exclusively. We look at our seps in photoshop to make any adjustments, and then we link it to an illustrator file where our art boards are made for determining placement. We then use that file to output to our RIP software and then the DTS machines, pretty standard stuff.

We send said illy files to this affiliate for them to output, but they crash the Corel Draw program. When I send them over as PDF's (what they requested) they show up as bitmapped images, and he said he is unable to output them as is. He claims that only vector files are compatible with Corel. I did a google search, and it looks like you can use raster images with Corel, but I have never used it and am not well versed.

Does anyone have any experience converting raster images made in adobe software into something compatible with Corel Draw without totally recreating the artwork?

Thanks in advance

--- End quote ---

Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than me will step in as well.
Although a CorelDRAW user, I don't have a specific answer to your question. However, some things in your post kinda' confused me. If these files are sent as raster in the first place, they must be raster even when played with in Illy. How are the pdf files much different?
New Illy files don't always work for me either, but CorelDRAW can import PS files usually fine. However, since these are seps, you probably need to make each one it's own file. I've used that technique in the past a bunch. Probably do something similar with the pdf conversions.

MotionTextile:
It has been a long time since outputting with Corel but one work around we have used is splitting your channels in PS.  You can then save individual files for each separated color and import into Corel to output

tbarnes:
Frog,

I'm not sure why they would be different, they just requested PDF's. After resaving as PDF's and resending they still didn't work, so the answer to your question is probably nothing lol I don't think it was different at all.

It sounds like you guys have essentially the same work around that we can use. I think that will work as a bandaid but is not viable as a long term option, it just takes too much time to go over each file and resave each channel as its own file.

If anyone else has any input or work arounds I would love to hear them, I think I am going to try and convince this shop to just make the jump to adobe. If we give them enough work it should justify the cost.

royster13:
For as long as I have been a "dedicated" Illustrator user (20+ years) there have been issues with Corel importing Adobe files 100% correct....There has long been chatter in various forums saying Adobe dedicates resources on every upgrade to making Adobe files hard to export to Corel....While at the same time Corel works hard to overcome such problems.....The "cat and mouse" game will continue....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version