Computers and Software > Raster and Vector Manipulation Programs, and How to Do Stuff in Them.

Photoshop Seps - Channels or Layers?

(1/3) > >>

Nation03:
Can someone tell me the benefit of doing seps in channels instead of layers? Channels always seem to take longer for me, but I've always wondered the benefits of channels vs layers.

rusty:
I'm sure there are better reasons but don't you need to need art seperated  in channels for RIP software? Can you do CMYK or sim process in layers?

3Deep:
Hmmm, I've always created my art in layers then sepped in channels, I'm sure I've did very simple art from a layer then turn it all black and printed, but channels for me just gives you more options for printing seps, but that is a good question maybe some of the real pros here will give there opinions...Dan, Rob, Homer, Tony, Steve etc where you at on this?

Nation03:

--- Quote from: rusty on September 25, 2020, 10:32:43 AM ---I'm sure there are better reasons but don't you need to need art seperated  in channels for RIP software? Can you do CMYK or sim process in layers?

--- End quote ---

Sounds accurate. I don't use a rip and when I do print halftones I just convert them myself. I have no skills at separating sim process but I imagine channels are needed for that as well. Most of what I print is spot colors so layers rarely give me any issues but I'd like to learn more about doing channel seps eventually.

ebscreen:
Not a pro by any means but for us channels (spot color) gives better ability to preview how something will
actually print and make adjustments. Also, we print from Illy (PS print interface leaves much to be desired)
and all you do is drag and drop your PS file into Illy, delete the composite layer, and you're left with selectable spot colors
allowing you to add vector elements if need be etc. It's a relatively convenient workflow.

Reminds me, you can load a layer as selection (ctrl+click layer preview I think) and save as a channel pretty easily.
Might be common knowledge, but some of the stuff us red-headed-stepchildren-of-the-printing-industry do in Adobe
products isn't well documented.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version