screen printing > Separations

Creating halftones / detail for small prints

(1/4) > >>

kidink:
My client is printing a 5 color sim process job, the halftones at 65lpi for a full size chest print at 15" wide look great, loads of detail.

However when I resize the chest print down to say 4" wide and generate the halftones via photoshop at 65lpi because the art is so small the halftones look massive and there's barely enough information to replicate the details.

How do you tackle this? Should i keep the artwork at 15" wide, halftone and then resize?

cbjamel:
What percentage at 65lpi, thats the question. are you creating the halftones or is the seps/rip creating them. should let the rip create them.
Shane

Sbrem:
If the original art is continuous tone, then no matter what size image you output, if it's at 65 line, all dots are the same size. However, a smaller image like a left front has a lot
less dots representing the area than at full size...

Steve

MNTS:
Can you share the image? If I can see it, I may be able to give better pointers as to what you should do to keep it looking nice for a left chest print. 15" to 4" is a steep change. When you do the resize are you doing that before processing the separations and tones or after?

kidink:
See attached. If the client had asked for this at 15" wide i'd feel confident that when I'm creating the halftones in photoshop there will be plenty of information there.

However, if i've separated the art into channels and then resize it down to 4" when i go to image-mode-bitmap and create the halftones at 65lpi the dots look massive (i know they're not) and there's barely any information there as the print is so small.

What's the best way to tackle this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version