Author Topic: weird screen problem  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: weird screen problem
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 08:28:53 PM »
i would think the humidity would be the factor because:

if you look in the picture, we have the i-Image in a room that has two vinyl curtains that i drop down over the weekend.  the two humidifiers keep the i-Image at around 35-45% humidity.  trying to humidify the entire room (that has the screens and washout tank) would be nearly futile.

the ink we use is type K and we havent added any since march - we have averaged 20 screens a day.
Yea, that room environment is a little tough. You have the washout booth right there, kicking out some moisture across the I-Image and then back over to the screens. ( a little further to go, but it does go). That's an ongoing battle right there.
Our screen room at JNJ was a little similar, but we had walls and doors that separated the three areas. Each area was controlled separately.How did you land on Type K?  It's one of the earliest or was when I started there. Its one of if not THE best one for my preferences but does spead like wildfire in extreme cases.  When I speak of the one shop in Fl that had experienced a tropical storm a day earlier, they could not expose good low mesh due to extreme spreading. Their room was like 90% humidity ..and near 50 degrees. Add to that, they coated 1:1 on low mesh and that left a waffle effect in the mesh stencil where the ink just puddled to.
I've only seen that happen one other time and again, was during a rain storm in Mississippi and flooding...and the walls of the screen room were seeping water. I'd print an image...and watch the ink spider out. I was driving back to the airport and could not get into the airport. It was surrounded by water  and the airport was in the middle. I drove about another 50 miles trying to find a spot where I could cross the Mississippi river where a bridge was not covered. I made it home as you can see.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 07:16:46 AM »
when we bought the i-Image in 2014 it came with Type K.  never had an issue with the ink.  we had the two printheads replaced last year and stayed with the Type K.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 01:15:07 PM »
when we bought the i-Image in 2014 it came with Type K.  never had an issue with the ink.  we had the two printheads replaced last year and stayed with the Type K.

EXCELLENT!  Just a good example of an older ink, and the print heads lasting well over a few years. Like 5-6 years is typical head life from the type K in my experience.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
weird screen problem
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
Wax

Making a suggestion to get rid of one that they have, that has already been working in all other cases but this one, and purchase another type...is not an answer. It’s your opinion or preference.  Wax has the benefit of working in all environments because it lands in a more solid state on the screen, and is a wax and not subject to water or cold. It’s subject to more heat, but in extreme cases that would not affect screen printing and making screens.  To say “go wax” is to indicate that wet ink does not work at all, easily, or well...and that would not be correct in the least.

The answer is/can be, multiple things.

1, The screen has sat too long. T-6 seems to like fresh screens and a little tack to them. Typically, most everyone uses screens within same day to 3-5 days. The older the screen, the more chances are given for pre-exposure and humidity changes. Not good for wax or wet ink.

2, The recent changes in weather and humidity does affect the bonding with some screen rooms and no change in other screen rooms. It’s a minor/easy fix balancing act for some.

3, The technique of coating can exaggerate this effect of change in humidity. Those who coat 1:1 on all or (low mesh), stand more of a chance of not having a flat surface to work with and the ink may pull or puddle down into the valleys of the mesh thread texture or (in the waffle valley). This is not a great method and would not be considered the industry standard but many people do this for ease. Especially on lower mesh. Leaves channels in the gasket for ink to get pushed out of the sides causing blurred edges and ink bleeding.

M&R does sell various types of ink, but they don’t intentionally sell those for various shops and environments to offer a variety. That is not their goal. The reason they have several, is to continue to make one best one, or to improve an issues with the previous “new” best one. Since there are shops that have never had any issues at all, there are some that still want their older "original”one and don’t want to chance changing it up.

Damp rag is another quick fix.

It’s for people in the future who are on the fence. Buy wax.   It works over and over and I don’t see any posts or articles suggesting wax has ever had an issue “sticking” to an emulsion.  The OPs post is proof they ink had issues, and might still have issues under certain environments. So if you’re on the fence do you pick a solution that has had problems and might still have problems under certain scenarios or do you  pick a solution such as a douthitt machine that has proven itself over and over just works regardless of the environment.

There is only one wax.  Douthitt or spyder or Kiwo only sell one wax. That’s because it works in every environment on every emulsion.   The simple fact m&r sells different ink (I didn’t know this) is reason enough to not buy that solution.  Does a consumer really want to think about what ink he might have to use during certain times of year or with certain emulsions. Or does he really want to worry that if he moves his shop that his new location might have different variables that might or might not require different ink.  Just cut the variables out and buy a wax machine.

So for people reading this in the future which soliton do you want to trust your mortgage with?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:04:52 AM by Jepaul »

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
weird screen problem
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
Wax

ok, Honestly your a smarter business man than suggesting to fix a humidity problem by spending 65k on a wax machine. this guy was seeking straight up help. Not your preference. just sayin man!!
As I said to Dan.  It’s for future people reading this thread.  Don’t worry about this issue and buy a wAx machine for $45k (not $65k).   The OP I’m positive already knows a wax machine wouldn’t have this problem.  My post and these subsequent comments are for people who might not know wax doesn’t have these issues.

This thread just shows my ignorance and how much I still don’t know.  I has now idea there were different inks based on different variables.  I just assumed (hate when I do that) that an ink machine works the same in every environment and on every emulsion.

I read a lot. Daily everything I can find.  And I have never come across a picture like the OP posted where his ink machine isn’t working because of emulsion or environment variable.  I sure as heck didn’t know I would need to check moisture content in my screens to check and see if they are “too” dry because imaging with inks. 

Obviously there are fixes and easy work arounds as posted here.  But I want the number of variables the people in my screen rooms have to consider to be as few as possible.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:34:55 AM by Jepaul »

Offline BP

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
I have used both. Wax is the only way to go!! I will never go back.
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
Cool... And there's plenty of discussions made specifically for that, this was a question that had nothing to do with wax, or which was better.

We all use the tools at our disposal, and this poster was looking for help, not opinions on what system others thought worked better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 05:55:33 PM »
I have used both. Wax is the only way to go!! I will never go back.

That, is a more feasible reply I can appreciate. It doesn’t answer the post, but it’s a good answer to a question (What is better in your opinion)?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 06:31:04 PM »
Wax

Making a suggestion to get rid of one that they have, that has already been working in all other cases but this one, and purchase another type...is not an answer. It’s your opinion or preference.  Wax has the benefit of working in all environments because it lands in a more solid state on the screen, and is a wax and not subject to water or cold. It’s subject to more heat, but in extreme cases that would not affect screen printing and making screens.  To say “go wax” is to indicate that wet ink does not work at all, easily, or well...and that would not be correct in the least.

The answer is/can be, multiple things.

1, The screen has sat too long. T-6 seems to like fresh screens and a little tack to them. Typically, most everyone uses screens within same day to 3-5 days. The older the screen, the more chances are given for pre-exposure and humidity changes. Not good for wax or wet ink.

2, The recent changes in weather and humidity does affect the bonding with some screen rooms and no change in other screen rooms. It’s a minor/easy fix balancing act for some.

3, The technique of coating can exaggerate this effect of change in humidity. Those who coat 1:1 on all or (low mesh), stand more of a chance of not having a flat surface to work with and the ink may pull or puddle down into the valleys of the mesh thread texture or (in the waffle valley). This is not a great method and would not be considered the industry standard but many people do this for ease. Especially on lower mesh. Leaves channels in the gasket for ink to get pushed out of the sides causing blurred edges and ink bleeding.

M&R does sell various types of ink, but they don’t intentionally sell those for various shops and environments to offer a variety. That is not their goal. The reason they have several, is to continue to make one best one, or to improve an issues with the previous “new” best one. Since there are shops that have never had any issues at all, there are some that still want their older "original”one and don’t want to chance changing it up.

Damp rag is another quick fix.

It’s for people in the future who are on the fence. Buy wax.   It works over and over and I don’t see any posts or articles suggesting wax has ever had an issue “sticking” to an emulsion.  The OPs post is proof they ink had issues, and might still have issues under certain environments. So if you’re on the fence do you pick a solution that has had problems and might still have problems under certain scenarios or do you  pick a solution such as a douthitt machine that has proven itself over and over just works regardless of the environment.

There is only one wax.  Douthitt or spyder or Kiwo only sell one wax. That’s because it works in every environment on every emulsion.   The simple fact m&r sells different ink (I didn’t know this) is reason enough to not buy that solution.  Does a consumer really want to think about what ink he might have to use during certain times of year or with certain emulsions. Or does he really want to worry that if he moves his shop that his new location might have different variables that might or might not require different ink.  Just cut the variables out and buy a wax machine.

So for people reading this in the future which soliton do you want to trust your mortgage with?

While you have some valid points in some areas for another discussion in another post, your whole post was just out of place.

Nothing about this thread was asking “Who’s for what is better”.  You know that. You might’ve been a little too quick on the draw with that button pushing is all.
Now,  Getting off track (derailing) is a common thing we see in forums and FB groups and I’m not one myself, to police getting off track or derailing a thread if the discussions are of good justifiable content. THIS subject you have initiated tho, is of a different beast and one that deserves staying in your lane. Create new thread if you like. If you want to promote wax and provide good content about the specific details or benefits of your own experiences, that is great!  Love that type of information. That’s what we do here. Just not when someone is asking for specific answers to a specific situation, to a specific machine.  It’s like

Hey, my idle speed control is sticking in my Mustang when it’s cold, Has anyone seen this? ...and you reply “Chevy”.  Not helpful.

When you do post and say “Chevy” You need to know what you are really speaking about. Why does the Mustang stick when it’s cold and why does the Chevy not?
Does he need to buy a 35k chevy’ when he has already bought his new 35k Ford and the fix to his issue, is a one time $35.00-$75.00 purchase or an adjustment to the temperature using equipment he already has in his car at no cost?  35K, or  $75.00- $0 forever. What one is smart business and a better answer to his question?

He wasn’t “on the fence”, he has already made his purchase...and your post was to HIM. See the flaw?

Your “reason” for choosing one machine over another...is because of a (one time) adjustment per seasonal change in environment that you might or might not need to do in your environment that cost you very little in the big picture. $35-75.00 - For something you should already have in your screen room anyways that benefits your entire screen room process?

No, You don’t change your emulsion that has been working all year, and you don’t buy a new ink type, because the one you were buying that worked all year all of a sudden starts to react differently. You evaluate what has changed, you address it (like the poster is doing). This is a reaction to a moment of differentials in environment. Should we buy a different auto reclaimer because the chemicals are reacting differently in colder wether? NO, you adjust something and move on.
Pretty simple.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:33:09 PM by Dottonedan »