Computers and Software > Separation Programs

OUR DOTS ARE FAT.

<< < (8/8)

Dottonedan:
Personally, I don't have a concern to be that accurate or to sweat weather or not my 50% is a true 50%.  That wasn't really the point of the thread. The point of the thread was more so (just a random complaint) about the dots we use these days not being as small as they once were. The 65lpi dots are just a little heavier than the same 65lpi dots from a good photo film imagestter. But hey, (we don't use photo film imagestters anymore), so the point is moot anyways. I was just ranting aimlessly.

The digital fat dots are the new norm.

But a way to measure dot gain on the printed shirt is THE most accurate way to measure total gain. after seps and imaging method, exposure, wash out, and printing...using a 65lpi or any given lpi on a specific type of shirt and screens setup.
It's also very hard. It's hard to get a consistent read in any one area "printed". So you must get an average read of say 3-5 sections of the same intended total % in a test file.

It is as Mk162 pointed out. But it's a "reflection" densitometer".  You really want one that is both a transmissive and a reflective densitometer if you can get it. My shop isn't buying one of those any time soon.  I have heard mention of people sending their film to Pierre and when he's back in town, and has time, he might take a read on yours so you can compensate for that in your rip. But I'm not speaking for him. He might not do that anymore. I donno.

mk162:

--- Quote from: Dottonedan on March 06, 2021, 05:43:32 PM ---Personally, I don't have a concern to be that accurate or to sweat weather or not my 50% is a true 50%.  That wasn't really the point of the thread. The point of the thread was more so (just a random complaint) about the dots we use these days not being as small as they once were. The 65lpi dots are just a little heavier than the same 65lpi dots from a good photo film imagestter. But hey, (we don't use photo film imagestters anymore), so the point is moot anyways. I was just ranting aimlessly.

The digital fat dots are the new norm.

But a way to measure dot gain on the printed shirt is THE most accurate way to measure total gain. after seps and imaging method, exposure, wash out, and printing...using a 65lpi or any given lpi on a specific type of shirt and screens setup.
It's also very hard. It's hard to get a consistent read in any one area "printed". So you must get an average read of say 3-5 sections of the same intended total % in a test file.

It is as Mk162 pointed out. But it's a "reflection" densitometer".  You really want one that is both a transmissive and a reflective densitometer if you can get it. My shop isn't buying one of those any time soon.  I have heard mention of people sending their film to Pierre and when he's back in town, and has time, he might take a read on yours so you can compensate for that in your rip. But I'm not speaking for him. He might not do that anymore. I donno.

--- End quote ---

Duh, refraction is how light bends through something...dangit.  We tested the heck out of prints and dan is right, it is hard to get a read on a shirt, you are best off with averages of several spots

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version