Author Topic: Plastisol Shortage  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Plastisol Shortage
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 10:08:51 AM »
One Stroke has a price increase coming - I don't recall the percentage but I'm going to blow through a few k and just order stuff. fk it.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Steve12Lowry

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
does anybody have info from manufacturers on this? Are we looking at a shortage coming in? should we be stocking up?

pierre

i talked to my rep and he said theres low stock on specialty inks - glitters, odd/infrequently used bases...  wilflex is concentrating manufacturing on the core product line so print shops dont run out.

Same for Rutland and Union. Rutland is still producing their core white inks and mixing systems. Union is concentrating on some whites and their RFU maxopake and ultrasoft colors.

Also, if you are using the Rutland Super Poly, you may want to start looking for an alternative. It could be a month or more before they get that out to distributors.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:25:00 AM by Steve12Lowry »

Offline Croft

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
I have a standing order for a 5 gallon of Rutland street fighter with my supplier , so they always keep one aside for me , just got an email that there out again and should come get my pail before it disappears.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
I can tell you that there are certain raw materials that are in a Force Majeure situation causing Avient to temporarily suspend manufacturing of certain products across all brands. They - and others - are struggling with acquiring the right raws and necessary quantities to meet demand. Some brands are more affected negatively than others but long lead times are the norm.

As far as price increases from them across their brands, they put that on hold a month or so ago.  It sure when it will be implemented, but initial percentages were 8 to 15%. If someone is saying thirty percent, well that may be the case if you want to rationalize a product line, which they and others will probably do.

I think what you will see is that lower costing (read lower margin) products will potentially be rationalized or increased more dramatically. Makes sense though with tightened raw material supply.

We are getting price increases from all manufacturers regularly- hard to keep up. This is a fact. Has eBay one tried to but copper or lumber lately?  Or fuel. Everything is going up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »
I can tell you that there are certain raw materials that are in a Force Majeure situation causing Avient to temporarily suspend manufacturing of certain products across all brands. They - and others - are struggling with acquiring the right raws and necessary quantities to meet demand. Some brands are more affected negatively than others but long lead times are the norm.

As far as price increases from them across their brands, they put that on hold a month or so ago.  It sure when it will be implemented, but initial percentages were 8 to 15%. If someone is saying thirty percent, well that may be the case if you want to rationalize a product line, which they and others will probably do.

I think what you will see is that lower costing (read lower margin) products will potentially be rationalized or increased more dramatically. Makes sense though with tightened raw material supply.

We are getting price increases from all manufacturers regularly- hard to keep up. This is a fact. Has eBay one tried to but copper or lumber lately?  Or fuel. Everything is going up.

thanx Rob!
what do you think the chances are of actually running out of white ink?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »
One stroke is already high enough, guess I'll have go ahead and order some, because we print a booty load of comfort colors and 1stroke ELTS is our go to for those and our second ink is wilflex, Frog you might be right there might be a run on white ink and they can jack the price up like gas but we have to have it, I guess black ink will be next ::)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
Hello Pierre!  The answer is ...... it depends  which brand, which white. We are definitely seeing significant delays in lead times, but so far none of our whites (Wilflex brand) have been put on the suspended list. I cannot speak to other Avient brands.

I know we use to sell a lot of IC knockout, and that product has been discontinued some time ago due to raw material issues. It happened to be the lowest costing white as well, so perhaps rationalization of the raws into more premium whites. Again, I would bet this will happen across the industry.

And for those that buy white from small local manufacturers- keep an eye on what you are getting if your price is not increasing. It is not sustainable for a manufacturer to just absorb costs. So they have to pass it along, or change (cheapen) the recipe. Like reduce TIO2 and increase filler. If you are seeing weight per gallon shifts then you can bet that is taking place. Most Wilflex whites weight about 13.5 lbs per gallon. I have seen some cheap whites below 12......

Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 02:11:06 AM »
This doesn`t seem to come out of the blue. I spoke to the official Union Ink distributer here in Japan today about this. They told us they are aware of the situation for a a while now and have increased stock levels accordingly. They are good with stock on Union Inks  for at least one year they said.
And Wilflex Asia does not rely on US resources for their products. All coming from their Chinese plant .

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 05:54:43 PM »
just ordered $15k worth of ink. that is a boatload for us and colors will probably last us a year. 2 drums of white, I thin will get few months out of it.
we cleared 3 different suppliers and took almost all mixing ink we use. I think we left 3 gallons behind and bought over 100. We still need few colors, will have to look for those nest week.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 06:00:48 PM »
Pierre, don't forget that canoe paddles are a great option for getting the bottom of those barrels!
tp