Author Topic: Air conditioned shop?  (Read 7174 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Air conditioned shop?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »
We have 25 foot ceilings now but I would put a drop ceiling and insulate the hell out of it.  I wouldn't AC the entire shop though, just about 1/2 of it and leave the rest to the heat.  With the new dryer, I don't think we would have the problems that we would have with the old dryer, that american just put out so much ambient heat that the AC would really struggle, regardless of whether or not it was twice as big as it should be for the square footage.  Overall, about 2500sq/ft would be AC'd, with an 8' ceiling.

we have low ceilings and two AC units. The space is about 3k sq feet, half embroidery and half screenprinting. THe side walls are insulated pretty well, but the roof is sheet metal. I had a warehouse in the same building and without generating any heat, the summer temps would reach 100 deg every now and then. Our AC bill is probably about $350 in the hottest summer months so it adds up to less than $2k per year. While that is a lot of money, the increased productivity and morale are worth every penny of it!

here's the pix of the unit before we moved in

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline dsh

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »
My dryer is located in a non-air conditioned part of the bld.  Just the input of the dryer sticks through the wall.  The summer of 2010 we were set up completely in the non air side.  Florida summer would get the temp up to 105 in our small area.  It's sooooo much nicer now.

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »
We have air thru out the shop and yep its nice during the summer months as it gets hot as heck here.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
How about running an optional graveyard shift during the summer months. I guess you would have to have the whole crew on board for that to work though.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »
How about running an optional graveyard shift during the summer months. I guess you would have to have the whole crew on board for that to work though.

Yaint from round these parts er ya feller?  That's a good thought and in the middle and northern states would be a great idea.

Dowon heaha in Flo da, our nights stay muggy and sink into the high 80,s I bets me some money they's gett'n inta bout 95-100 degrees still at night with the doors open and the fans a blow'n.  It might save 10 degrees off from the day work tho.

Arizona is recorded as THE hottest place in the US to live (on average). So I'm sure they got the same problems " but it's a dry heat". So they say.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »
It will be in the 100s in my neck of the woods. I am in the central part of California. Coast weather or the great weather you hear about California does not apply to us.
With the flash running my little 800 sq ft has to be 110-115 at the hot part of the day.

I have visited Flo Da and you can keep that weather! lol. Raining while the sun is out, Raining on one side of the street and not the other all the while its 90 degrees and sunny. Strange weather for you Flo Da folks!  ;D

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »
After our fire in 2004, we put in an evaporation cooler (aka swamp cooler)
It will cool down spots of the shop but not the entire shop.
Cheap mans ac.
Quality over Quantity

Offline Tagless Threads

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
That would be good for printing water based ink in the summer.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
twitter - facebook - flickr

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »

Yaint from round these parts er ya feller?  That's a good thought and in the middle and northern states would be a great idea.

Dowon heaha in Flo da, our nights stay muggy and sink into the high 80,s I bets me some money they's gett'n inta bout 95-100 degrees still at night with the doors open and the fans a blow'n.  It might save 10 degrees off from the day work tho.

I run a second shift here in Nashville and the cool nights are a perk. When i ran Harlequin in Fort Myers we had eight presses two shifts. Second shift ran till 3:00 am.
In Ft Myers it's still muggy and hot so no perk there except the beach!

Arizona is recorded as THE hottest place in the US to live (on average). So I'm sure they got the same problems " but it's a dry heat". So they say.