Author Topic: Wilflex Nupuff base  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Wilflex Nupuff base
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:38:31 PM »
So, we have rush for tomorrow, and only puff base. I can't seem to find the correct ratio of white ink to puff base anywhere, does anyone have experience with that base?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: Wilflex Nupuff base
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 02:14:47 PM »
https://sourceone.nazdar.com/portals/0/tds/Wilflex-NuPuffBase.pdf

Well shoot, That PIB won't help you.

Back in the day the Union product was 25% base added to white.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:27:13 PM by Orion »
Dale Hoyal

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 05:21:13 PM »
we tested, and it ended up 2:1, base to white. It was kind of gross, but the end user loves it, go figure.

Steve

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 06:17:01 PM »
After looking at the meager Wilflex  tech info, it kinda' appeared to me that this is truly a base meant to mixed with their various pigments for best results. Not like a puff "additive" for RFU inks
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 02:31:18 PM »
Yep.  That’s what I understood last week. There is a Puff additive and there is a Puff base. The Base (from the spec given to me by Ray Smith at Wilflex/Union/Rustland/Polyone/Avient er whatever these days, was 20% puff base, 80% ink (for a puff screen).   I gather that the "additive” is to make things more opaque or slightly dimensional but not really puffing.  If I remember right.

BUT, like Sbrem,  we ended up with probable about 40% puff base added (before I was able to get that info to the ink mixer/printer).  For what we were doing and trying to achieve, it worked...but it still wasn’t all that extreme.  We currently have a small 8'dryer, so that may have played a role.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »
For what we were doing and trying to achieve, it worked...but it still wasn’t all that extreme.  We currently have a small 8'dryer, so that may have played a role.

I'm not so sure about that. My first few years I used a four foot Ranar Scamp dryer without even an enclosed tunnel, virtually just a panel suspended above a small belt. Puff was big then, and with the proper RTU inks from Union, it worked great!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 10:12:20 AM »
Ours was extreme, to match what was already on the front. I prefer a suede base over puff, but we have no call for it at all...

Steve