Author Topic: Apples and eggs  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Apples and eggs
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »
Okay, so apparently. folks in China are just as crazy as here when it comes to new releases from Apple.
So I hear of near riots and eggs being thrown at the store in Beijing when its opening was delayed, and announced sale cancelled apparently, much to the consternation of many would-be 4S i-Phone buyers (including many hired buyers for "scalper re-sellers")

I accept the fanaticism associated with Apple products and their fans, but what I want to know is "why did so many phone buyers come equipped with eggs?"  Is this something akin to Chinese open carry?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ipadl7UukoLb12j_7rPXT9CuNaNQ?docId=418dcdf532dc41d3b14325ac65714ba1
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Apples and eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »
Good question.  Maybe they don't need a carry permit for eggs.  Of course you always have the element that just loves to cause trouble when there is a crowd.

It also could have something to do with the factory worked that build a lot of components for the iphone.  They had to be talked down off a building this week when they didn't get the pay they were promised.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »
Actually, it gets a lot weirder than that.    If you love Apple, and they can do no wrong, this is where my post ends.   :)

A little snippet from Wikipedia:

"In 2009 and 2010, Foxconn factories supplying iPhones, iPads and other devices have still come under fire in the press, with one source describing conditions as a "white collar prison".[68] In 2009, Foxconn guards were videotaped beating employees.[61] Later in April 2010, four workers attempted suicide in a single month in the same factory.[69] By May 2010, 12 workers had attempted suicide at a Foxconn operations in China. Apple, HP, and others stated that they were investigating the situation.[60] In response to the suicides, workers were forced to sign a legally binding document guaranteeing that they would not kill themselves.[70]"

The whole doc is here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Apple_Inc.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
i listened to "This American Life" the other week -  it was about the working conditions at the factories that manufacture the apple ipads, ipods, iphones...  its typical for foxconn to hire underage workers (some as young as 12).  the repetitive motion is so severe that the finger joints of workers would disintegrate.   chemicals used to clean are so toxic that the workers suffer severe neurological disorders.   if you cant work fast enough you get fired.   

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »
What I love is how apple, HP and others get a pass for this while Wal-Mart gets protested left and right.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 05:42:42 PM »
There was another Foxxcon story in the news just this week, I forget the details, but it was about avoiding a bunch of suicides. Oh yeah, I want to live there instead of here. I'm sure there are a ton of other factories there that are just as bad if not worse.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:26:45 PM »
Apple and HP don't get a pass, at least not from me. Steve Jobs was a scheister.

Oh American manufacturing, what has happened to you.