Author Topic: Anyone recommend a good emulsion coater?  (Read 4952 times)

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
Re: Anyone recommend a good emulsion coater?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
dave...ours is straight and smooth...but I agree buy a great one and keep it that way...just trying to get him through it...

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
A red Scotchbrite pad will also clean it up.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »
I like the Sefar coater with the blue end caps and dual edges. Nice and deep so it holds plenty of emulsion. Will  stand up on it's own or you can make a simple stand for it.

The one at the shop is well over 5 years old. It has build up all over it and would make anyone look at it cross eyed if asked to use it.

It may be old and dirty, but I'll take that one over a brand new one. The edge is about glass smooth and coats beautifully so why replace it.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
Sefar is what I have for hand coating. Mr. Jester, I'll bring it in Sunday and you can play with it for a while. It has a round edge and a sharp edge. It's  the one I most prefer.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
I like AWT's dual sided coaters.  It just fits nicely in the hands. 

Anyone care to post a pic of the sefar?  I've tried other coaters out in the past and pretty much hated all but the AWT Pro-Coat.  It would be nice if the pro-coat held a little more emulsion though.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »
thanks guys

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
I like the ones made by AWT.  They are the gold anodized ones.  They have a single and double edge model.

The single-edged one is the one I started with, and still the only one I use. I bought one of the silver aluminum ones with the plastic end caps and the two edges, but I've never cared for, or gotten used to, the way it sits in my hand. I hold the screen in one hand and the coater in the other, which may explain why I don't like the second one. Seems all of the videos I've seen of people using the second kind show them leaning the screen against something and using two hands with the coater. Anyhoo, I get good results doing it the way I'm doing it now, even if it's bassackwards.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
I like the ones made by AWT.  They are the gold anodized ones.  They have a single and double edge model.

The single-edged one is the one I started with, and still the only one I use. I bought one of the silver aluminum ones with the plastic end caps and the two edges, but I've never cared for, or gotten used to, the way it sits in my hand. I hold the screen in one hand and the coater in the other, which may explain why I don't like the second one. Seems all of the videos I've seen of people using the second kind show them leaning the screen against something and using two hands with the coater. Anyhoo, I get good results doing it the way I'm doing it now, even if it's bassackwards.

You do it the way that's most comfortable to those who have coated a crap load of screens.  I used to do it leaning against the wall and using two hands on the coater, but as you get more skilled at doing it, holding it with one hand works better.  The very best screen coaters I've ever seen do it with one hand like we do.  My printer now was my screen guy for a few years and his screens were absolute perfection.  I gaurantee you an automatic scoop coater wasn't more accurate than he was, and he used the one hand on the coater and the other on the screen, standing up and bent over at the waist.  His screens were literally within a tolerance of under 5 microns from one screen to the next of the same mesh, I measured many screens over those two years in amazement that he could be that accurate. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
Alan, I always coated using one hand to hold the screen and one to hold the trough. I can't even guess how many thousands of screens I have coated. When we got
our machine, the Kiwo rep was in measuring stencil thicknesses. He was gloating on how good the machine was doing. I almost hated to tell him he was measuring
screens that I had done by hand the day before. If you do it day in and day out, you can get remarkable results. I'll stick with my automatic coater now though, thanks.
I have my brand new trough set out to take to John tomorrow morning.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 12:58:58 AM »
Thing I like about the AWT coater is the ends of the trough keep the emulsion from building up too much and making a thick bead of emulsion on the edges of the coated screen. The Sefar coaters tend to let the emulsion spill over the ends too much.

My favorite coating stand is a Black and Decker Workmate. Just the right height. Clamp a piece of 1x1 in it for a stop that the frame leans against. I coat 1 handed. Works great.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 07:58:39 AM »
I have two Sefar coater's, so I don't have to flip it while coating. We polish the edges before each use with an old scrap of denim.  I haven't had to buy a new one in a while but AA frames has some great pricing on them.

Offline Tagless Threads

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »
I agree with Socalmf we use sandpaper to take care of those dings.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
twitter - facebook - flickr

Offline David005

• Verified/Junior
Anyone recommend a good emulsion coater?
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
Sandpaper here too !!

Offline Croft

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »
SERICOL scoop coater has my vote, keep the edge clean and polished.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »
+1 on sefar. It is what we started with and never wanted something different. I will admit, as mentioned, it does leave a thin line on the edge though.

two hands. Built a rig in the darkroom so the screens are waste high. Less bending and better repeatability.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!