Author Topic: Money saving Tip!  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Money saving Tip!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 12:32:02 PM »
You don't drain it daily? Last thing I did before leaving the shop every night was open the valve to let all the water out. Most manufacturers recommend to drain daily or at least weekly to prevent premature tank rot. If you don't have an auto drain definitely drain it daily in my opinion.

Word, I'm baffled by some of the stories here.

I don't do it "regularly" but I bleed out different sections from time to time as I'm standing around doing whatever.  Each drop is designed to collect in the bottom which has a purge valve that I crack open from time to time.

My auto drain stopped working a long time ago, so I just crack it open out back when I happen to be back there... no more than a cup drains out when I do it.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2021, 04:00:14 PM »
I tried to do it right when I did the air system here 14 years ago. 2 Kaeser towers (for redundancy and growth) with internal chillers.Additional external chiller. Auto drain on all three units. Polished aluminum air lines throughout the building. I can add to, cap off, add drops, isolate areas, etc as I want or need.  Depending on season and use, I can fill a five gallon bucket in a week. I rely on my local Kaeser folks to do my maintenance. I used to do it myself, but I've passed that along to them. More peace of mind. No more "when I get around to it"
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2021, 04:21:26 PM »
Our lines are copper, couldn't tell you the specifics, but it was installed by our plumber of 25 years, while he was plumbing the gas lines, we know he's good.

Steve

PVC? Yikes, that would scare me.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2021, 05:04:25 PM »
Well I'm doing the big NO NO ::) I got thick 1/2 pvc pipe running from the compressor to the chiller, buttttt the outside pipe is inside a metal pipe and the pvc running on the inside shop is wrapped in a foam sleeve, so far no problem with anything busting.  I didn't want to run metal because the fear of rust over the years, but I do need drain my tank more often.

The key words here are "so far" :)

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »
You all don't dump your air when you leave every day/night? Last thing we need is a compressed tank sitting at the shop over night.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2021, 08:10:47 AM »
i read that the oils from the air compressor can cause PVC pipes to weaken...  also, i dont think that PVC pipes are osha approved - if they get hit with something they could break. 

i set my air compressor to reduce pressure to 65psi at night and weekends when we arent here.  its easier than draining 300+ gallons of air in the tanks.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
Well I'm doing the big NO NO ::) I got thick 1/2 pvc pipe running from the compressor to the chiller, buttttt the outside pipe is inside a metal pipe and the pvc running on the inside shop is wrapped in a foam sleeve, so far no problem with anything busting.  I didn't want to run metal because the fear of rust over the years, but I do need drain my tank more often.

The key words here are "so far" :)

Yep I know so far, I've been telling myself I'm going to replumb it to metal one day, really ain't that much... one pipe in and one to the press area
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »
I had pvc years ago. It blew and scared the crap out of me. I was glad I was not in the room. I think it could have been dangerous.
When you replace the pipes I strongly suggest more unions than you think you need.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »
We use this stuff for the entire shop https://www.rapidairproducts.com/shop/maxline/3-4-maxline-master-kit

Northern Tool carries it

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »
We use this stuff for the entire shop https://www.rapidairproducts.com/shop/maxline/3-4-maxline-master-kit

Northern Tool carries it

I was just going to recommend this to Daryl as well.

Easy stuff to work with for the most part.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2021, 02:46:14 PM »
A third for the maxline.  My entire shop was maxline, great stuff to work with.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Admiral

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2021, 06:00:33 PM »
FastPipe like system here (AIRpipe).  1" main runs, 3/4" everywhere else.  Highly recommend this type of system, do it yourself, modify it yourself, safe, doesn't corrode, etc.

As for tank draining, I hated doing that with our loud original 7.5hp air compressor.  Picked up a 15hp rotary screw used and put on an auto tank drain after awhile, much better....

What I like about our newest, 25hp air compressor is the integrated dryer works BEFORE the tank, so the moisture doesn't really make it anywhere! still has an auto tank drain to be sure though.

It's not worth messing around with potentially dangerous equipment.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »
who has a good auto drain they can recommend?  Preferably one that doesn't need 110v run to it...we are out of space in the panel and I am really lazy right now anyway

I just redid the entire firewall, switch, phone system, camera system, new wifi, controlled access for the front door...all into a new server rack.  I am done with stuff like this for a bit.

Offline Croft

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2021, 10:55:50 AM »
I have Maxline here with an automatic drain on the compressor , I also put a dog leg with valve at the compressor and all lines are angled back to that point , I also have a dog leg with valve at the drops and drain every so often

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 11:34:22 AM »
who has a good auto drain they can recommend?  Preferably one that doesn't need 110v run to it...we are out of space in the panel and I am really lazy right now anyway

I just redid the entire firewall, switch, phone system, camera system, new wifi, controlled access for the front door...all into a new server rack.  I am done with stuff like this for a bit.

I know some can be wired right off the power to the compressor and can even be set to only activate when the compressor is on.
"No man is an island"