Author Topic: a familiar Illustrator problem  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: a familiar Illustrator problem
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 08:56:56 AM »
Interesting. My first thought, is that you are a tint mistaken.  But I could be wrong and have never looked closer at it.  I know like other areas, you can enter a value, or you can slide to a value.  But I’ve never noticed that they produce two different results of that color (in the color window).  I’ll check that out.

When you think about it, the processes are the same (for what you are saying about tinting) as well as decreasing the opacity (in the color window). But to your point, I refer to decreasing the value (entered manually) as decreasing the opacity. You are taking a color and decreasing the content (via the color window). But doing that adds white, so in that sense, you would correct. Decreasing “opacity” is only done in the other window where you are doing the same thing as “making it transparent”.  Adjusting the slider, or enter there manually also. You decrease the value for both, and you do that by entering numerically or by adjusting the slider (for both).

How do you “tint” a color?  You add white to tint it. Tinting l(gets lighter). Shading a color, is to add black to a color. Tints and shades.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 11:30:40 AM »
I think we have a winner here now. Even though the file in question was one we created, we do get many with the same problem. Of course, both our artist April and myself know the difference between tinting and transparency, as tinting with white makes a color pastel as opposed to transparent/translucent, I don't think we've looked at it that way when using Illy, which we will promptly adjust now. And now we know what to do with the files we receive with the same problem. I knew if I threw it in this forum that an answer would come out of it. Thanks everyone, and have a great weekend.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
My own use of the color window is mostly today, and especially back in the day, for reducing color contact (similar to) reducing opacity of a color.

I may be using that term figuratively speaking. But I’ll admit, Ive never noticed the “tint” word or T to the left of the slider that I can remember.
That may be newer also. Most will remember that Illy didn’t even have “transparency” way up until about version 6.0 or later. All you did have, was the Color window and reducing the color content or (opacity). In print, it would make halftones of that color obviously based on your percentage entered.

We never ever Called it “tinting” and I am almost sure that was never named “tinting” back during those earlier times. That would have been more of a technical term not used well in the application for separation, but does apply in therms of designing and creating art.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850