Author Topic: So....  (Read 7422 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: So....
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about the new Brother, the Graffiti. The rep was in about a month ago to show us some prints. We've been getting more and more calls that this would be a good fit for. My partner is not so inclined, but if I make the case, and not get it just because it's cool, I can see one here someday in the next year...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
I really think, alot has to do with training and maintenance. Most people think it's like buying a regular printer that they use at home or office for printing color day to day paper prints. If most of the economical DTG's of today are epson base, they are basically the same as far as the main functionality goes. Rips may vary, most if not all DTG inks are made by 1 company, Dupont and then relabeled, so it boils down to the user. Like saying an Acer pc is a pos vs a dell. If both have seagate Hd's, Pny memory, Asus mother boards, and intel processors, Windows 7, the rest is a power source, and a housing, and the most important variable, THE USER. I hear good and bad about every single machine out there, including the Kornit, which is un-dboubtlably the most sophisticated DTG out there. Even Brother users, some love, others sell to go with something else. I think what we are going to do, is go with something used, 2 years old or so, smaller format, to learn more about it and not get under a heavy lease or investing 20 plus thousand. Build our market and integrate into our current business plan. I see a future with DTG for us, but I'm not willing to look into a 5 year payment for it yet. There are some good deals on used DTG brand, and T-jet brand, which besides the companies selling them and the outer housing, are basically the same machines in the guts of it. I'm sure when I find the deal I'm looking for, I will be posting all sorts of stuff. The white WIMS that DTG has come up with, with the circulation pump and all looks cool, not sure if it's necessary since I know others that don't use anything like it and never have issues with white as long as they continuously run their machine. I would like more info on the Resolute inks, if they really do have less issues ect. Chime in guys with experience with their machines, epson based, or not. I do have my eyes on the DTG Viper possibly in the future, although, the Brother 782 looks like a solid monster, but either of those would be at least 1-2 years off.

Mike
Training and maintenence is crucial. File preperation is key to getting a good print. The way I see it, and I may be wrong, DTG is not for eveyone. The operator needs to be mechanically inclined and be able to troubleshoot on the fly. Without those qualities, failure is high. the inks that Brother and Kornit uses is Dupont ink that has been fliltered, air bubbles removed and packaged in an airtight container. The Dupont still has the larger particle solids in the white. It is because of the larger particle that the big printer manufacturers have redesigned the print head. Can't push the large particles through an Epson head without some sort of clogging. The Resolute ink that I use is not made by Dupont. The white ink particles are a lot smaller and less prone to clogging. The T jet is an older machine that likes to stay running. I can produce good quality prints on it. The more expensive machines will produce good quality prints, but they can do them much faster. Talked to a lot of people in the DTG world at Long Beach and thats were I learned of the modified Dupont inks. Now for dark garments, pretreatment and proper curing is were success comes from. I have great luck with printing dark garments because I spent a lot of time getting the preatreat and curing right. When my wife does it, not good results. So yes, the operator is the key to printing dark garments. When things calm down this week, I will post some pictures and techniques of my dark garment printing with this ink and pretreatment. Thanks for looking.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 06:15:35 AM »
Neoflex. All our issues but one were user error. The one was fixed by Neo. Sent guy in to replace a part on printer that broke. Little gear thingy. Humidity is a secret. They like it. We now run 2 humidifiers in NJ this time of year. Pretreatment is a bit of an art. We bought a used speedtreater and are ready to test this week after gettting all it's issues fixed. (How do you screw up something this simple? But they did). Get great prints light or dark, good washability, but it's a niche market. Follow the mfg'rs directions! Here's where we always run into issues, trying wacky Shep ideas. Dupont inks like cotton. Work on some 50/50. Testing is the only way to be sure. Great for onesies or short runs, prototypes, or show off pieces. Is there a place in a shop for these? Yes. Would I buy another? When the maintenace requirements improve. We were daily cleaning and printing to flow white. Cut it down to m-w-f unless have enough work to make it worthwhile. Has not affected the system. Much happier than the daily grind. It acts up occasionally all on it's own. But run a cleaning and nozzle check and it seems to be happy. We named it Pita (pain in the a$$) so maybe that's our bottom line.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »
I have heard that places that use heating oil instead of gas or electric heat have a higher banding rate.  I have no idea the validity of this, but some machines are less prone to humidity changes than others.  My friend that ran the kornit had to build a room around his machine to keep the humidity in.  It was clear plastic sheathing that was over a 2x4 frame.  It really looked like something out of a space movie where they had to keep the aliens contained.

A lot has been learned about these machines since they have been released.  Brother at least didn't test on the public and have had very few issues with their printers.

You do not have to be a mechanic to own a Brother, pure and simple.  You can't be an idiot, but the printer is rugged.  Frankly, I don't have time to sit and fix a printer all the time.  When I turn it on, it should work.  Just like our auto press and embroidery machines do.  Well, maybe to a lesser extent on the embroidery machines.

But, all machines do break down or need maintenance, it's fact if life.  Failure to perform recommended procedures will lead to an more repairs and a higher cost of ownership.

I couldn't be happier with the Brother.  76,000 and maybe around 1 hour of downtime because I replaced a print head.  I just did that when I didn't have anything else on the schedule, so really, the downtime I've had has not effected me at all.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
Changed my mind on the T-2, too many possible issues with a used discontinued machine.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:35:47 PM by screenprintguy »
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »
I am in the market for another used T2. Will install a new print head, bulk ink system and complete cleaning. Put the good ink in and I am up and running for about a grand. ;D

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 10:38:09 PM »
I am in the market for another used T2. Will install a new print head, bulk ink system and complete cleaning. Put the good ink in and I am up and running for about a grand. ;D
Sell me one of your refurbd T2s!

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
Sell me one of your refurbd T2s!
oops. sorry. What I meant was about a grand on top of the purchase price. There out there for cheap. People bought into the homebased business marketing plan and they had no idea what they were in for. Couldn't get files prepped right, couldn't keep the ink flowing, etc. They get frustrated and turn it off without clearing out the nk. Next thing you know everthing is plugged up. They just want to get rid of it. Always remeber, prices for used equipment is obo.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »
I know what you meant. I probably should not even get into it to be honest with you. lol lol. lol. lol.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
I can pass on the info to anyone interested in the one I was going to buy from a guy in NewHampshire through Ebay. Evidently he used to be a distributor for them knows alot about them, and it was him that contacted me after the bid was won wanting to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally make sure I knew what we were getting into and that he would rather sell to someone who has used the T2 before. My winning bid was 2,500, it had been properly stored, had the bulk ink system installed on it, but, since it sat for a while he said it may need a head, may need a new bulk ink set up. other than that it was mint. If anyone wants his contact info, message or post your email and I'll email you his contact info, he was really cool and upfront, which I appreciate, I know now, if I'm going to add that service, I'll buy new with full training, and support on a warranted machine.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
Good call screenprintguy. Training helps a lot as well as tech support. For me, I already had that and feel comfortable with the machine. DTG is not my main business though, but has been picking up a lot lately