Author Topic: Static frames buckle at 28 Newton.  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Static frames buckle at 28 Newton.
« on: February 09, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »
Just noticed today that all our static frames significantly buckle at 28N tension. They are all 23x 31, 1.5" frame profile. Which makes me wonder if these are particular shitty frames or if I should expect this to happen with any frame that size and tension?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Static frames buckle at 28 Newton.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 11:25:02 AM »
Do you mean that the longer sides are bowing somewhat? I would find that normal myself. Of course, you're not using wood frames, but when I got my first stretcher years ago, I had some wooden frames fold in half diagonally once I cut them out of the stretcher :o

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 11:39:34 AM »
 It stands to reason that the wall thickness of the frame is a primary factor. Less expensive ie lighter and thinner are more prone to bowing.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 11:44:21 AM »
Do you mean that the longer sides are bowing somewhat? I would find that normal myself. Of course, you're not using wood frames, but when I got my first stretcher years ago, I had some wooden frames fold in half diagonally once I cut them out of the stretcher :o

Steve

That's where really good corner joints came in. Isn't that kinda' the difference between a carpenter and a cabinet maker?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 12:50:26 PM »
I had some frames re-meshed last year that have been sitting around for awhile, my restretch guy ask me where in the world did I get those frames, these frames are thick and heavy, flat as glass, I couldn't say where in the world I got them, but I've not bought anymore frames like them nowhere since.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!