Author Topic: Exile Spyder-screens not registering on press correctly  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Exile Spyder-screens not registering on press correctly
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 09:24:51 PM »
All around excellent advice here. 

It sounds like you did so already but, in case I misread- ensure that the CTS itself can repeat registration.  i.e., is it printing the reg marks in the same place on each screen if you print twice without removing the screen?  It's very possible to have an x or y axis alignment or repeatability issue with the CTS itself.  Rule this out before you go chasing your tail downstream. 

If it repeats without removing the screen, see if it will repeat if you remove the screen and reclamp.  It could be an issue with how the screens are loaded and clamped.

If everything is repeatable at the CTS itself, do a decent size control batch to make sure it's 100%.  If it is 100%, then start looking at the jig you are using on press and ensure you are matching the exact three points of contact from CTS to press.  Procedure in loading the frames is important here and will make a difference in registration success.
I totally appreciate all the advice I get here. You are right we did all those steps as described in your reply. No issue with the Sypder. Still, I remember seeing a post from Denver Print House in which Danny said he did grind down the drum itself as it is putting too much pressure on the mesh once the clamps hit. That and the fact that there is a too big contact area on the stop blocks will for sure have an effect on the registration. I bought some rivets, like you find on denim trousers, and will stick those with double-sided tape to each stop block. Then mirror their position on our regi pallet. This will reduce the contact area on each block to around 2mm in diameter.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 11:32:41 AM »
Yer on the right path!  Match the points on both cts and jig and then establish a very specific sop for screen loading at both points.  Include how the on press registration jig is loaded and locked in this sop as well. 

Exile has world class support and also some serious parts making resources.  They probably can get you blocks that are exact match to the points on your on press jig. 

I would consult with their team before reducing the drum height, there are some techy details with tension that need to be considered I believe.

There are 1,001 other variables and ways to reduce setup times but establishing this baseline will be a big step.  Remember to zoom out periodically and see what's really holding up the setups, it's not always reg time.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 12:03:41 PM »
as someone who has been working on this (with and without danny) for over 3 years, and 2 of those 3 years was with an SPYDER III, here is what i recommend:

-Ask them to send you a new drum, that matches the specs that Danny requested.
-Ask for their new blocks, which have more precise contacters. You want pin point blocks touching your screen, not the broad blocks they typically come with.
-You need to make sure your blocks on your CTS hit in the EXACT same spot as your reg board.
-Make sure screens are at similar tensions (within a job).
-Make sure all your frames are the same thickness. This seems trivial, but it can be an issue with the drum/tension of the mesh.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2022, 07:53:28 AM »
as someone who has been working on this (with and without danny) for over 3 years, and 2 of those 3 years was with an SPYDER III, here is what i recommend:

-Ask them to send you a new drum, that matches the specs that Danny requested.
-Ask for their new blocks, which have more precise contacters. You want pin point blocks touching your screen, not the broad blocks they typically come with.
-You need to make sure your blocks on your CTS hit in the EXACT same spot as your reg board.
-Make sure screens are at similar tensions (within a job).
-Make sure all your frames are the same thickness. This seems trivial, but it can be an issue with the drum/tension of the mesh.
Thanks for all the advise.
May I trouble you to elaborate a little on some of those points you have made.
So the "new" blocks are standard issue now or a secret menu item so to speak?
What makes Danny`s drum different to the standard drum?

Screen tension is not an issue I`m worried about as we have that locked in.

Thanks for your help.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 11:30:20 AM »
Danny had them make changes to the reg. blocks on the unit. This was in the last year, so i'm not sure if they are now standard.

Same thing with the drum Danny had them shave it down, so it didn't put as much tension on the screen.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 02:59:06 AM »
All around excellent advice here. 

It sounds like you did so already but, in case I misread- ensure that the CTS itself can repeat registration.  i.e., is it printing the reg marks in the same place on each screen if you print twice without removing the screen?  It's very possible to have an x or y axis alignment or repeatability issue with the CTS itself.  Rule this out before you go chasing your tail downstream. 

If it repeats without removing the screen, see if it will repeat if you remove the screen and reclamp.  It could be an issue with how the screens are loaded and clamped.

If everything is repeatable at the CTS itself, do a decent size control batch to make sure it's 100%.  If it is 100%, then start looking at the jig you are using on press and ensure you are matching the exact three points of contact from CTS to press.  Procedure in loading the frames is important here and will make a difference in registration success.
Thanks for your input. We indeed made sure the CTS can repeat registration, we did several tests. No problems there. We did with and without removing the screen, both times the registration is bang on. My money is on the drum causing too much tension on the mesh and the fairly big contact area on those stop blocks,