screen printing > Screen Making

Olec boom... time for LED?

(1/2) > >>

Atownsend:
Loud boom in the exposure room today. Bad smells... popped the cover on the power supply. One of the contactors on the capacitor was trying to light itself on fire when the unit was in operation. Posts on top burnt to a crisp. I noticed that one of the resistors on one of the other caps was also desoldered....fun thinking that could be the origin of the issue, but who knows. Called Mark up @ douthitt, they're overnighting me some new capacitors. Kudos to Douthitt for hooking it up. Hopefully I can get this rolling tomorrow since sun exposure is not something I really want to do any more of.

Thinking about the future here... anyone use the Saati single point LED? I'm reading that it doesn't need an integrator, but im wondering how you'd interface a timer with it. If you're using it, how do you like it? Getting good exposures? What is the expo time / distance? Can we run two up?

We run photopolymer and plastisol so I dont think we'd run into some of the issues that a waterbased printer would... but I still want the best resolution from our light, so multipoint light sources are out for that reason.

ericheartsu:
we have both units here, but primarily use the Saati 3kw toaster. It comes with a timer.

Sbrem:
We have the Pro-Lite 450, works great. Yes we had to do some testing to get the exposure times down for Ulano Orange and Saati HU-42. We probably have it slightly closer to the vacuum frame than our old Violux 5000S, and yes, you should be able to do 2 up manual size, we do 2 up on 23 x 31 as well.

Steve

blue moon:
it has a really pronounced hot spot in the center. You'll have to have it pretty far away to get good light distribution. I think we have it almost 4 feet away.
Single wavelength at 405nm. I would prefer multi spectrum, but at this point the convenience trumps most other potential issues.

pierre

Atownsend:
Thanks y’all! I was able to rewire our caps today pretty easily & got the Olec back into production. Mark seems to be able to help us fix just about anything with a 5 min phone call and next day air.

I really like the idea of the LED. But theres something about those transformers buzzing in and the caps charging that is just screams total badassery. The Saati units seem to be stocked well, so I spoze I’ll keep the Olec around until something majorly catastrophic happens and I need to overnight one of those haha.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version