Author Topic: Epson T3270 Roll Printer Head Won't Align  (Read 2538 times)

Offline FSGPrints

• Verified/Junior
  • Ready to print
Epson T3270 Roll Printer Head Won't Align
« on: May 20, 2022, 03:40:15 PM »
Hello All,

The printer in question is an Epson T3270, which we've been using in our shop for 3-4 years. Periodically, the print head has come out of alignment. This typically happens when switching from white paper back to clear inkjet film. I am diagnosing it as a misaligned head, because when I'm printing, the two black cartridges are not lining up. This leads to a double print, which is obviously not tenable for printing half tones on film positives.

I have tried everything I know how to do within the printer settings. I have adjusted the platen gap, turned on and off remove skew and every other custom paper setting. When going through the detect paper thickness setup, the thinnest setting still produces two parallel lines that do not overlap.

We had Decision One come out a few months ago to clean the printer, and they advised that it was on it's last legs. Is there any tricks that anyone here knows of to help get the prints looking better just for today? We have a new printer on the way, I just need a fewwww more prints from this one.

I have attached a photo of the film I'm printing, the gap between the two sets of lines is around 0.5mm.

On a side note, I feel like this is not at all a long enough lifespan for a printer this expensive. We stored it covered, and only printed films and occasionally signage for the shop on white roll paper. No weird substrates went through it.

Thanks for your time!  :D

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Epson T3270 Roll Printer Head Won't Align
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 03:50:59 PM »
Not knowing this printer very well and if I'm trying to get a few more seps I would pull one of the black ink carts out and replace with an empty cart, printing only one black cart for now anyway.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline FSGPrints

• Verified/Junior
  • Ready to print
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 03:55:29 PM »
3Deep that's a great idea! I might even pull the ink bag out of the matte black cartridge, so I won't have to screw with moving the chip to an empty cartridge. Not even sure if we have an empty around.

We used to use an Epson 1430 with the all black system and a chip resetter, but this printer has two black slots by default.

I'll report back.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 10:01:14 PM »
check the platen gap. try it with rip and with see if difference.
Shane

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 09:23:54 AM »
We use the same printer, and only use one head, the Photo Black cart. The other carts are CMY and Matte Black. We are running AccuRIP Black Pearl still, but don't use the all black feature. Halftones look better to us, and they have no problem exposing. If your RIP lets you do that, give it a shot.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline FSGPrints

• Verified/Junior
  • Ready to print
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »
We ended up getting a new printer for a reasonable price. I think using cheap low quality ink was the downfall of this printer. The wiper got gummed up and as a result it was not retracting when it should have been. This was causing the printhead to drag across it, which damaged the nozzles beyond repair. I'm going to feed this new printer only high quality Epson brand or Chromaline ink.