Author Topic: Recent consult visit/ different vernacular!  (Read 2613 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Recent consult visit/ different vernacular!
« on: May 24, 2022, 07:31:04 PM »
For some of us SP nerds who travel a bit. Different shops have different terms for the same thing. So....upon my recent completion of consultation to a large volume shop I have learned a few new terms.
I personally refer to changing off contact by raising the distance in increments from screen to substrate. At this plant, they say "lower", as they drop the platens rather than adjust via individual head adjustments.
 Right away, I looked at the white ink buckets near press and noticed some were labeled 50/50 and some Poly. Turns out the 50/50 was a cotton custom mix and Poly was of course for well, you know.
When pulling a print that is more or less wet before sending before the dryer, I refer to it is a wet pull, subject to "snap back". Others apparently refer to it as "popping"
BTW who came up with the "burn" time for screens? It is all about exposure light and time, not heat!

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: Recent consult visit/ different vernacular!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 07:49:52 AM »
I guess "burn" could refer to carbon arc exposure, or solar exposure. No matter the method, I have always called it burning screens.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 09:04:49 AM »
I'm guessing carbon arc as well, which was what I trained on originally. Talk about your dangerous equipment...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 09:44:13 AM »
When you think about it, the term Halftone (half) is not very accurate. Half, refers to 50% or an equal part of positive and negative while Dot Tone is more applicable across the board of all dot ranges. :)
At least it’s still not referred to as Zipitone.

Tony, you missed and opportunity early on to snag a good screen print handle. “ I’m losing all of my small dots in the Pepitone”.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 10:42:01 AM »
we currently have four different artists that have different names for the 1st print of white, and they are never consistent with the names...

base white
underbase white
flash white
flash
UB white
UB
wet white

new guys pulling ink for the press come up to me and ask "wheres the bucket of flash" or i cant find the bucket labeled "UB"

same thing with the 2nd white:

highlight
hilite white
2nd white

"wheres the bucket of hill light white"

these are just the ones on the top of my head...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 11:02:23 AM »
LOL.  That’s funny.  I often hear “Hi White too.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 11:33:16 AM »
They also refer to a color that is not underbased as "direct to garment" Oh and if they run out of ink while printing thats called "pulled dry"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
They also refer to a color that is not underbased as "direct to garment" Oh and if they run out of ink while printing thats called "pulled dry"

around here we call that dry-stroking ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!