Author Topic: Dye Migration on Crimson Comfort Colors  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Dye Migration on Crimson Comfort Colors
« on: October 18, 2022, 08:46:41 AM »
Ok I'm having an issue here with dye migration on Crimson Comfort colors

I'm trying puff additive in wilflex bright tiger white on these and the specs say the flexipuff cures at 320 and wouldn't you know it, it turns pink as soon as it's washed. 

Would I need to use top score white or would washing them before hand stop the problem? 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Dye Migration on Crimson Comfort Colors
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:05:43 AM »
The ink we use for comfort colors is One Stroke ELT-S white ink, plus we use a bleed blocker grey, we print this color shirt all the time for two colleges in our area, One stroke is pricey but you want have to worry about bleeding or return shirts, well worth the cost.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 11:37:41 AM »
If possible, you can switch to the Cayenne color from Comfort WASH, #GDH100.  Similar color pallet and style (hence the knock-off brand name), but none of the dye migration issues.  We make the switch from Comfort Colors to Comfort Wash as often as possible.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 12:02:27 PM »
On my last shop, We printed tons of Crimson Comfort colors. Always needed to use a Wilflex bleed blocker base, and then a top white. Although, I do think OneStrokes grey base would be even better but I think it’s also more expensive.
BUT, I did have a printer that just used a Low Cure Poly white by itself, and ran them at low temp like 280 and they didn’t migrate. Thats even after keeping them here for 3 days to be sure. I didn’t believe that it would work on these Crimsons but it did.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 12:42:39 PM »
If it's happening in the wash it's more likely the other kind of dye migration, the kind that turns your
socks pink. Puff would give texture for particles to adhere to. Some of these garments have so much extra
coloring that your hands will be noticeably different after handling.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 08:21:03 AM »
If it's happening in the wash it's more likely the other kind of dye migration, the kind that turns your
socks pink. Puff would give texture for particles to adhere to. Some of these garments have so much extra
coloring that your hands will be noticeably different after handling.

Bingo!!  That's what's happening.  After 3 washes you could still take a paper towel and wipe an area away from the print and the paper towel would turn pink.  This morning I took one that hadn't been washed and turned it inside out and used a cold wash.  It came out with no dye migration.  Needless to say, I'm going to avoid crimson comfort colors like the plague.

Thanks for the input everyone.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »
Comfort Wash! Another plus is that they will spot out with the Albatross/Niagra gun without bleaching the dye

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 06:41:49 PM »
On my last shop, We printed tons of Crimson Comfort colors. Always needed to use a Wilflex bleed blocker base, and then a top white. Although, I do think OneStrokes grey base would be even better but I think it’s also more expensive.
BUT, I did have a printer that just used a Low Cure Poly white by itself, and ran them at low temp like 280 and they didn’t migrate. Thats even after keeping them here for 3 days to be sure. I didn’t believe that it would work on these Crimsons but it did.
If it doesn’t get hot enough to migrate, will it still migrate? I think that’s the logic. Me personally I would rather add fixer to the ink and be sure of it. Rather toss a bit of ink than waste an entire dye blocker screen.

But I’m a Noob.