Author Topic: Compressor maintenance  (Read 1709 times)

Online farmboygraphics

Compressor maintenance
« on: February 25, 2023, 11:41:26 AM »
Looking to get the oil and filters changed on my IR rotary screw compressor. Quoted $1,700 from my local dealer. $800 of it just for labor.
I'm not a stranger to getting my hands dirty, is this something I should be able to tackle or are there other techs out there I don't know about?
Tees and Coffee

Offline Admiral

Re: Compressor maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 04:02:00 PM »
Looking to get the oil and filters changed on my IR rotary screw compressor. Quoted $1,700 from my local dealer. $800 of it just for labor.
I'm not a stranger to getting my hands dirty, is this something I should be able to tackle or are there other techs out there I don't know about?

I found it easier than a car oil change when I did it, so I recommend figuring that one out on your own and taking care of it with the right oil (worth it to use the higher grade if you have options).

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 01:18:45 PM »
if trying to keep warranty good for screw compressor pay it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 11:15:31 AM »
Same thing here for my Kaiser AirTower, insane price ,were 20min from dealer and $1700 oil change. only 3 qts of oil. What got me was the $45 a art for recycling!

The manual is very clear on what to do, so I gave it a try no problems.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 01:21:08 PM »
I think these companies charge these rates because they figure it’s pretty simple enough that you can youtube it. If you are mechanically challenged (like myself), then they figure if you want it done, it’s going to cost you.
Sort of like trying to over price something so that you don’t have to really do it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 02:49:49 PM »
I just changed the oil in my 4 stroke outboard and wow, so much easier than a car.  Our compressor fall between a car and the boat.

We were only paying $300-400 per service, but this was also 10 years ago.

Just check and make sure your oil is properly rated according to the manual.

Online farmboygraphics

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 05:01:47 PM »
I had a very nice PM from one of the board members with a few good points and I'll just have the maintenance done by someone who knows what they're looking at.
Could I do it, of course. Do I know the machine well enough to know if I've missed something, Nope. Once I get back on a regular schedule the cost should come back down.
Tees and Coffee

Offline SPexchange

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 06:29:14 PM »
Did it on a couple Atlas Copco.  Just get the part numbers for the filters (google for prices) and buy good oil. Less than an hour to do it.
Make sure unit is not hot and all air removed from the tank.
Don't over fill it. 

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 02:33:09 AM »
I pay a company to service my compressor every 4000 hours.
It's expensive but if it breaks down they come immediately.
No compressor, no printer and it will usually break down when you are really busy.
I think it's like an insurance policy.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 03:41:01 PM »
We would always do it ourselves, but we've never had a rotary screw model. I am one to dig in and look for a better deal, if I can do the work. Many years ago, NuArc wanted to charge me $250.00 for a timer on a process camera, which I bought from a supplier for $52.00. I pulled the timer, found the manufacturer, called them, and they gave me a phone number for the local supplier. It pays to check it out.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't