Author Topic: looing for somebody to print some windbreakers  (Read 2282 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
looing for somebody to print some windbreakers
« on: March 01, 2023, 04:30:59 PM »
looing for somebody to print some windbreakers.
-Will need a jacket hold down. 170 pieces LC and 170 pieces full back.
-Water resistant so they are not sticking to the platens.
-Underbase and two top colors, light gray windbreaker. One layer.
-Very picky customer. Price is not an issue as long it's done right.
-The color and placement have to be right on!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline zanegun08

Re: looing for somebody to print some windbreakers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 07:22:46 PM »
Why not get a silicon transfer, or a hybrid transfer.

If the customer is picky, then using a high quality transfer could be the way, just tell them that Nike and Adidas does their logos as transfers on tech material.  That way you could keep it in house.

https://www.instagraph.com/heat-transfers/all-heat-transfers/

I'm not sure their minimums possibly 250 but that could still work depending on price, but they have some high quality styles for transfers, could also use something like these

https://clise.com.mx/english/top_crest.html
http://www.bestrims.com.hk/index.php?route=product/category&path=65
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Custom-3D-Raised-Effect-Brand-Logo_62164697367.html

I've ordered from the bottom two and met the Clise at ISS, never ordered from Insta but I've used their transfers and they are great quality.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 07:29:54 PM »
Why not get a silicon transfer, or a hybrid transfer.

If the customer is picky, then using a high quality transfer could be the way, just tell them that Nike and Adidas does their logos as transfers on tech material.  That way you could keep it in house.

https://www.instagraph.com/heat-transfers/all-heat-transfers/

I'm not sure their minimums possibly 250 but that could still work depending on price, but they have some high quality styles for transfers, could also use something like these

https://clise.com.mx/english/top_crest.html
http://www.bestrims.com.hk/index.php?route=product/category&path=65
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Custom-3D-Raised-Effect-Brand-Logo_62164697367.html

I've ordered from the bottom two and met the Clise at ISS, never ordered from Insta but I've used their transfers and they are great quality.

we ordered samples from several places and could not get anything to work right. Some would not stick due to water repellent, some had too much glue around, some could not keep the thin lines due to lack of glue in such small section, some had colors that were off... we are almost a $1k into this after months of monkeying around. If it was any other customer we would have told them to buzz off. Phil's been a great guy over the years and we really want to help. The end customer is super demanding, but everybody is on the same page. They know they are demanding and they try to find ways to make things happen rather than demanding impossible. The problem is it just look like the jacket hold down is the only option and we don't have them.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 07:31:53 PM »
p.s. after washing the only transfer that was close is peeling.
p.p.s. the jackets are non returnable so we have to find the way to make it happen.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 07:54:47 PM »
I'll PM you an email of a place to try, but it's in Oregon so not sure if it would make sense, you can probably find someone closer to you that has them.  I'm sure you know but for people that don't you can clean the area with alcohol prior to pressing to diminish the waterproofing prior to pressing. 

Would a sewn patch be another option?  I don't know the graphic so not sure if that could work but a woven label sewn down could be a good alternative and then you could heat seal in waterproofing on the backing.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 07:58:22 PM »
I'll PM you an email of a place to try, but it's in Oregon so not sure if it would make sense, you can probably find someone closer to you that has them.  I'm sure you know but for people that don't you can clean the area with alcohol prior to pressing to diminish the waterproofing prior to pressing. 

Would a sewn patch be another option?  I don't know the graphic so not sure if that could work but a woven label sewn down could be a good alternative and then you could heat seal in waterproofing on the backing.

it's a full back, so patches are a no go. I think we are left with jacket hold downs. Customer does not want us taking off the coating and I agree. Why have a waterproff jacket and then remove the protection?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 10:28:31 PM »

it's a full back, so patches are a no go. I think we are left with jacket hold downs. Customer does not want us taking off the coating and I agree. Why have a waterproff jacket and then remove the protection?
That's right, and I'm always baffled by these kinds of suggestions. SuperColour SoftShell Blocker transfers might be an option unless you have already tried them. They are made for water-repellent fabric.

Offline DonR

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 11:25:19 PM »
If you want to try another DTF transfer. PM your contact to me and I will send you a link to upload the design. I will print and send a sample for you to test.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 12:23:04 AM »
Customer does not want us taking off the coating and I agree. Why have a waterproof jacket and then remove the protection?
That's right, and I'm always baffled by these kinds of suggestions.

There is spray to re-waterproof the jacket that could be applied.

You could have a seamstress open the jacket and then print a single layer and then sew it back shut.

You could cut a stencil and spray paint the jacket.

Merely trying to make suggestions based off limited context, could have the same issue with direct printing, just because you have a hold down pallet and nylobond isn't a 100% tried and true method the print can still fall off or be scratched away.

I did an order with silicon on a jacket that one part was sublimated and one was not, and the print fell off just the sublimated part but the non sublimated it worked on.

Also one of my largest single orders by $$$ amount ever was because another print shops prints fell off jackets, and we did the proper testing and sampling prior to taking on the job.

Just make sure you do your due diligence in testing before spending another 1k or more on an application that could fail.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 11:01:35 AM »
....It sounds like you're dealing with a customer who has a picky customer that knows he's being picky....My question is, would the end user care if the shade of blue is off, or there's a bit of glue sticking out? Go to JC penny and look at the absolute trash prints being sold by the millions. Why be so picky about something NOBODY will notice?! They are either going to buy it or they're not, right?.... It's not like the end buyer is saying  "wow that's a sweet ass jacket, too bad that's PMS 286 and not 287 or I'd buy it"... but then again I'm just a d!ck so what do I know
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 11:20:55 AM »
you can print these with waterbased ink, if you find the right ink :)
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 08:14:23 PM »
Yes indeed. Permaset have very good nylon inks.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 10:49:44 PM »
Yes indeed. Permaset have very good nylon inks.

Also air drying hybrid for umbrellas and such. This would be a prime example

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 10:50:43 PM »
customer pulled the order. So we are done with that headache...

thanx for all the suggestions!

pierre

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 03:51:20 PM »
Sounds like a job we had awhile back that I was really happy walked ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!