Author Topic: Separation Studio NXT  (Read 2837 times)

Offline farmboygraphics

Separation Studio NXT
« on: March 07, 2023, 04:22:08 PM »
Anyone using this? Thoughts?
Tees and Coffee

Offline zanegun08

Re: Separation Studio NXT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 11:49:33 PM »
I haven't used this, but watched some youtube videos.

Looks fine, but nothing you can't do with photoshop, ultraseps plugin, ect.

It doesn't seem expensive so not a huge risk to try it out, however in my opinion I think it is best to charge your customer $15 - $20 per color, sub it out for $15 per color for separations to (still the going rate?) Dan on the board, myseps.com, netseps.com (flat rate), GraphXsource, ect.

The money you "save" trying to do separations with automated software I feel you will lose with making adjustments on press to get it correct, where if you send it out for $150 for a 10 color but it runs perfect the first time and you pass that cost onto your customer anyhow and you can move to the next job you are actually making more money.

I tried https://separo.io/ with decent results, but not mind blowing, and used ultraseps for greyscale with decent results, but in the end I found subbing out gets the best results, and rather than tying up an artist for hours trying to make a subpar separation they are working on other items and get a finished file ( I would still make minor tweaks or request adjustments ) to output.

Just my input, on https://www.myseps.com/tagged/color%20separation you can see a couple separations he did for me (Rosie the Riveter / New York Red Bulls) that I thought were both good results.

That's my two cents on the matter, sim process separations depending on your business model may be rare, so makes more sense to sub out to professionals that DIY.  And if it's a more regular part of your business then netseps.com is good as after 10 separations drops in a year drops down to $75 flat rate who is Mark Coudray's company who is basically the mad scientist of screen printing separations.

Offline Croft

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 03:15:30 PM »
Maybe do the trial, I did and wasn't really impressed. They went dark for a year or so over covid with promises of greatness . Wasn't any better that what they offered before.
I don't do a lot of simulated process so send all mine to Scott at Myseps and have never had an issue.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 03:29:35 PM »

If you're looking for sep software to do your own, I'd go with UltraSeps.  Good product and great support. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 09:47:21 AM »

If you're looking for sep software to do your own, I'd go with UltraSeps.  Good product and great support.

I'll second UltraSeps as well. Though I learned how to do those things before automated programs, they do a very good job and cut the time way down. The last couple of CMYK+W jobs we ran were almost perfect out of the box, I had to dial back the Magenta a little in some areas, but the customer was very pleased.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 12:34:40 PM »
I did end up getting Ultraseps, which also required I get PS which I've never used. So far I'm really liking both programs. PS is going to taking some learning, but it's crazy robust for just scratching the surface. Really nice for playing with the Midjourney graphics.
Tees and Coffee

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 02:50:36 PM »
I still got a version of Quik seps that I use, but I will assume Ultraseps upgrade has more tools than the older version
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 03:58:49 PM »
I still got a version of Quik seps that I use, but I will assume Ultraseps upgrade has more tools than the older version

I went from QuikSeps to UltraSeps years back and Steve greatly changed the way it works making Ultra quite a bit improved as well as additional options.

The nice thing about UltraSep V3 is the need to re-register was removed when you need to re-install after upgrading your PC.  Back in time there was a special $ to upgrade from Quik to Ultra.  Don't know if that still exists.  You could always download the trial and give it a shot.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 04:11:07 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 10:51:30 AM »
Here's my two cents....
I do a ton of sim process work.  We've won impressions for 4cp.  I do a lot of seps for people. I can tell you this, ultraseps does a great job of giving you a starting point to cut down on time.  And as much as we all like to obsess over what the end print looks like, 99% of people have no clue what they are looking at, they just want to see a cool looking shirt.  Some artists, buyers, etc. obsess over matching PMS colors, blah blah blah, but it's just something they were trained to say and about control.  The end buyer(consumer) doesn't give a sh*t.  Does it look cool?  Does it connect to them emotionally?  That's what's important.  In the end, any of the auto sep programs will get you a sellable product.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 11:55:24 AM »
Here's my two cents....
I do a ton of sim process work.  We've won impressions for 4cp.  I do a lot of seps for people. I can tell you this, ultraseps does a great job of giving you a starting point to cut down on time.  And as much as we all like to obsess over what the end print looks like, 99% of people have no clue what they are looking at, they just want to see a cool looking shirt.  Some artists, buyers, etc. obsess over matching PMS colors, blah blah blah, but it's just something they were trained to say and about control.  The end buyer(consumer) doesn't give a sh*t.  Does it look cool?  Does it connect to them emotionally?  That's what's important.  In the end, any of the auto sep programs will get you a sellable product.

....PREACH......
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline siestasol

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »
Preach #2....

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 01:34:22 PM »
Preach #2....
Same here Preach!!!!!, that's why I don't jump on every upgrade that comes out, unless it's got something that's going to blow my skirt up LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!