Author Topic: sublimation... any pointers?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
sublimation... any pointers?
« on: March 21, 2023, 08:16:58 PM »
might have to start doing sublimation on mugs, mouse pads and so on. Any good pointers?

Thinking about getting the EPSON sublimation specific printer and using their inks. We have heat presses, am hoping that regular stahls stuff would work.
Debating larger format than letter, but not sure if it's worth it? from what I am seeing, posters, some pictures and puzzles are the only things that need larger than letter?

any other thoughts?

TIA!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Re: sublimation... any pointers?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 08:26:01 PM »
We do not do a ton... I bought a smaller epson et2270 (tank printer). I filled it with printers jack ink and and their paper. I found a color profile on a blog that works pretty well. I am pretty sure you can use the larger et7750 (11" x 17") with similar results. The stuff I have done looks good to me.
If you want a sample I can send something. Just send me the ai file.
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 08:42:34 AM »
 ....shipping mugs is brutal.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 12:10:43 PM »
It's been a few years since I did mugs, but they came out great. I believe Artanium was the ink brand, and they supplied the profiles. They came out great, really, but they are tedious. I have a Knight mug press, and immediately after taking it out of the press, immersed it in a bucket of lukewarm water to cool it down to prevent off gassing before you can peel the paper. It took quite a while to do a dozen mugs, couldn't possibly charge enough, but people do it, probably on a much larger scale, possibly with oven wraps and a lab oven to increase the production. As I said, they do come out great. Mousepads are also pretty easy, especially bleed offs. Like Homer shipping mugs can be a bear.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 07:45:07 AM »
We bought the Epson 570 sublimation printer a couple of years back and it has caused little to no trouble.  It produces great prints.  We have sublimated the mugs but like sbrem said, you couldn't charge enough because of the time it takes.  I don't think the sublimation in our case earns enough mainly because of the homebodies doing it.  It seems that as soon as we bought it, that's all you ran across on facebook.  Especially the bleached shirts because people get tired of the polyester only shirts..  I do think that fad is falling off though.  Now it's DTF everywhere you look.
It's not a job if you love doing it.