Author Topic: Laser to Screen (LTS)  (Read 17202 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Laser to Screen (LTS)
« on: April 27, 2023, 07:02:25 PM »
Our Saati is here and still dialing in all the parameters, however, after having a DTS for two years in a previous shop well, I can say all signs lead to gamechanger. No consumables (ink/wax) is really just a plus. High res detail on lower mesh where applicable. Reduced dot gain on process and sim process. We are posed to be better and faster in a very short time.

Offline zanegun08

Re: Laser to Screen (LTS)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 01:06:34 AM »
What's your exposure times look like, say on a 156 mesh, and do both screens need to be the same mesh or can the settings be controlled independently?

How many screens do you typically produce in a shift?

What resolution does it expose at and what dot size halftones do you typically print?

It's a cool tool, how much did it cost and what model did you get?

Post pictures!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 05:02:32 AM »
Give me a few weeks for specifics however this is not a plug it in and go piece of equip. Need a tech to install. Must be leveled and dialed in to your emulsion, mesh counts/color etc. Ours laser expose two 23/31s at a time (no bulbs). Halftone settings can be preprogramed to whatever you like (85 excessive for textiles but possible with a click) Helps to have auto coat for uniform EOM. Detail is amazing. Exposure time/speed/power need to be preprogrammed but its not necessarily faster than DTS just much better. This will change how we print... not only faster but better. So much to ponder. Off to meet the tech for final install and programming

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 05:30:30 AM »
I was just sent a video of a 1 up laser unit coming to market soon (not made in china). It exposed a 23x31 screen in 1 minute. Still waiting for more details but a 1 up machine makes more sense to me given everything thing I have heard about the Saati unit.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 06:42:50 AM »
Which Laser did you get?
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 06:13:26 PM »
SAATI LTS 6080 holding most of 2% dots 55 dpi 305 mesh. Not long before I came along it was a struggle with 45/5% using white mesh/vellum/flourescent bulbs so.......!!!
Phase two will be 55 dpi high mesh DC UB w/ plastisol top colors.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 01:59:33 AM »
SAATI LTS 6080 holding most of 2% dots 55 dpi 305 mesh. Not long before I came along it was a struggle with 45/5% using white mesh/vellum/flourescent bulbs so.......!!!

make sure it's calibrated. Not sure about laser, but the inkjet CTS tends to make the dots much, much bigger then they are supposed to be. Stuff I've seen was that 2% was actually over 10% in some cases!
pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 06:32:25 PM »

make sure it's calibrated. Not sure about laser, but the inkjet CTS tends to make the dots much, much bigger then they are supposed to be. Stuff I've seen was that 2% was actually over 10% in some cases!
pierre
What might cause this. Printhead distance to the screen?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 07:33:08 PM »

you can work with erik klein at saati, and he'll help you dial it in. I know of some friends that are doing tests, sending it to him, and he's tweaking the curves.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 04:54:03 AM »
It was preset at the factory base on our emulsion, We can work with Eric/tech to dial in (not necessary so far) and SAATI is only 45 min away so they have offfered on site assistance if nec

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 12:56:54 PM »
How are you liking that Laser Tony? Or anyone else got one? I am considering moving to a LTS8012 Saati.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 01:25:52 PM »
Loving it but as stated above calibration should be done on site with a tech. It is not a speed demon, and it takes some getting used to not having film, but resolution is amazing. I would say that, if you're dts/cts and its not causing any issues, I wouldn't rush out and swap for laser. We went from film to no film and don't burn hundreds and hundreds of screens per day (app burn time 2 screens 90 seconds) so this the best leap for us. It has had zero issues since install. We now dont use reg marks as the pre reg Roq pallet works 98% of the time. And of course no bulbs and consumables. Lasers don't print dots so dot size is zero issue. You can adjust DPI to whatever you like but 55 and 65 is all we need. 9.5 out of 10.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 01:43:04 PM »
Left this out.....this was part of a package. Auto coat, auto reclaim, and LTS. Screen tech can perform any two, or possibly three I suppose, of these functions simultaneously. Had a part time guy coming in to reclaim but when he leaves we will not need to replace him. So labor reduced by app 35%.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 07:11:18 AM »
Loving it but as stated above calibration should be done on site with a tech. It is not a speed demon, and it takes some getting used to not having film, but resolution is amazing. I would say that, if you're dts/cts and its not causing any issues, I wouldn't rush out and swap for laser. We went from film to no film and don't burn hundreds and hundreds of screens per day (app burn time 2 screens 90 seconds) so this the best leap for us. It has had zero issues since install. We now dont use reg marks as the pre reg Roq pallet works 98% of the time. And of course no bulbs and consumables. Lasers don't print dots so dot size is zero issue. You can adjust DPI to whatever you like but 55 and 65 is all we need. 9.5 out of 10.

Sales guy says on our emulsion we should be able to do easily more than 20 screens a hour. that Would be great for us. Our single head i-image could not do that speed. The one we are looking at is 2 Up as well, i think yours is 1 up isn't it?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 09:07:50 AM »
2 up however you have to expose the same mesh count for both. The unit is calibrated for each mesh count and color (yes dyed mesh makes a difference) Or you can select single screen option. Auto coat is also 2 up. Units are on opposite sides of the room about five ft apart so operator pulls files/burn/rinse/coat all at once without breaking a sweat. If you really want to show off you can fire up the auto reclaim and do a little dance. Setup is pretty slick. The screen room is a pretty enjoyable place to work.