Author Topic: Laser to Screen (LTS)  (Read 20642 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Laser to Screen (LTS)
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2023, 03:40:08 PM »
Teslas are every where, where I live. I don't know why they are more popular in some areas than others. What I do know is a lot of large employers around here (Aetna, P&W, Cigna Werox etc) Have free charging for their employees. I know if I worked for one of them I would consider the switch.

Charging ours at home, we had the upgraded charger and that would charge the car from dead to full in 4hrs. Never noticed a difference in electric bill, at all.. So if you figure that car was being driven daily like our others your saving hundreds in gas a month. For some that could be huge. If employer was also offering free charging that could be big for people.

The future will have electric cars, they are only getting better. Reality is though until they deal with the charging network its not going to matter.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Admiral

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2023, 08:56:56 AM »
Teslas are every where, where I live. I don't know why they are more popular in some areas than others. What I do know is a lot of large employers around here (Aetna, P&W, Cigna Werox etc) Have free charging for their employees. I know if I worked for one of them I would consider the switch.

lol, I feel like you just answered the question yourself there.

I spent $2700 on a second solar array that offsets more than all the energy for my EV, 3mWh a year.  Bigger array is over double.

As for the build quality, the premium of the car is the tech, not fit and finish.  These cars are built faster than other factories - to save on $, capital, space, expand into the market faster, etc.  Also to keep the prices more affordable.  I thought that was known but maybe not. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2023, 11:14:14 AM »
Transitioning to EV which of course many many years down the road is going to have a massive impact on the poor and lower working class. EV's will never have a viable used market in the low range that so many rely on to work and live. Battery storage and the motors themselves are so expensive and cannot ever come down far enough in price to sustain a used market. As more and more EV's take over the streets fuel will become more and more expensive as the need decreases. So yea there will always be combustibles around but running them will gradually become more and more expensive. I kind of see it as a dystopian future scenario, only the well to do will be driving around in their fancy EV's while the working class and poor rely on public transportation and walking biking. That in turns leads to more and more city congestion. Just rambling thoughts sorry
"No man is an island"

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2023, 11:31:17 AM »
Transitioning to EV which of course many many years down the road is going to have a massive impact on the poor and lower working class. EV's will never have a viable used market in the low range that so many rely on to work and live. Battery storage and the motors themselves are so expensive and cannot ever come down far enough in price to sustain a used market. As more and more EV's take over the streets fuel will become more and more expensive as the need decreases. So yea there will always be combustibles around but running them will gradually become more and more expensive. I kind of see it as a dystopian future scenario, only the well to do will be driving around in their fancy EV's while the working class and poor rely on public transportation and walking biking. That in turns leads to more and more city congestion. Just rambling thoughts sorry

yeah....but.... sAve tHe whAleS...gLoBal wArmiNg...

I love these activists that say we need EV and electric stoves to save the planet...meanwhile we're DESTROYING the environment to make the batteries that can not be disposed of...... it's all optics, follow the money. Has nothing to do with saving the environment, at ALL...

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2023, 11:37:44 AM »
I'll say this in just a few words  Very smart people are going to tear this world apart!!!!!!  over thinking!!!
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »

yeah....but.... sAve tHe whAleS...gLoBal wArmiNg...

I love these activists that say we need EV and electric stoves to save the planet...meanwhile we're DESTROYING the environment to make the batteries that can not be disposed of...... it's all optics, follow the money. Has nothing to do with saving the environment, at ALL...

If everyone flipped to electric at the rate say California wants us all to.... we'd all see rolling black outs every day to offset the over run grid.

It's still over all short sighted. Think of it this way, even if we can all afford them. How do say people at apartments charge cars? They going to put 5 chargers out front for the 500 apartments? Just that issue alone is MASSSIVE. That would again assume the grid could provide it to start with. Even Elon literally says we should be building power nuclear power plants. We already have states that have power draw issues when its super hot and such. Adding power draw of everyone charging cars every night will not help this.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2023, 11:50:05 AM »
I agree with all said. Common sense says we simply are not advanced enough yet to switch to green energy across the board. At least not with a population pushing 8 billion. It is a pipe dream being forced upon us, many are keen to the impracticality of it all but so many are convinced by what their leaders tell them. With out any doubt to best path to green energy currently is nuclear power. Government has made nuclear power a non starter tho, bureaucracy and cost all imposed by the same government that also tells us we need to stop killing the environment. Nuclear power would be every where on this earth if it was really profitable because money is always the driving factor as said above. And lets not even start with fusion tech. It is always 30 years away and honestly the practicality of it is still in question. I have my doubts.

But like I said before I see a major increase in the divide between the haves and have nots as everything becomes more and more expensive.
"No man is an island"

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2023, 12:26:56 PM »
These new fangled horseless carriages? How are we supposed to fuel them up? My Nelly eats hay, that's all the fuel I need to get around. Gasoline supply in EVERY TOWN? That's crazy!
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2023, 12:52:17 PM »
On the bright side some time in the distant future it will look like Cuba around here. With all the old combustibles being repaired over and over.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2023, 12:58:28 PM »
And rebuilt early nineties Gauntlets with screens burned with sunlight

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2023, 01:31:26 PM »
Also, current battery tech is barely good.  It's way better than NiCad, but the limitations of LiPo shouldn't be ignored.  The energy density is poor, they cannot be charged when below 32 degrees(they warm the batteries to charge), and they have reduced range in cold conditions.

Toyota is working on a solid state battery that is claiming a 900 mile range.  That expands the applications for batteries in all kinds of uses.  The current f150 lighting has a range of 95 miles while towing.  That's useless in the real world. 

Offline Admiral

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2023, 02:06:00 PM »
These new fangled horseless carriages? How are we supposed to fuel them up? My Nelly eats hay, that's all the fuel I need to get around. Gasoline supply in EVERY TOWN? That's crazy!

lol that made me laugh.

The change to the grid is going to be similar to the air conditioning boom in the 60s and 70s.  2% per year (or less) on average for 20 years, possibly slower even...if we use the batteries like we should and not only let utilities dictate things, we can save money and have a more resilient grid even.  My house batteries should let be arbitrage the energy, reduce the duck curve, etc.

On another note, there's a lot of misinformation and even disinformation here - I would say be careful if you are getting your information from only one side.  Anyway, getting way off topic, so I'm going to bail now.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2023, 02:17:46 PM »
The current f150 lighting has a range of 95 miles while towing.  That's useless in the real world.

It's less than that in reality, some pretty viral videos out there around half that mileage. Even Ford's CEO recently said it was poor.

Electric may be OK in a truck but not if you are using it like a truck. You'll be forever charging it.

Online Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2023, 07:13:21 PM »
There is really nothing wrong with a well-built public transport system or riding a bike or walking.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2023, 08:03:13 AM »

lol that made me laugh.

The change to the grid is going to be similar to the air conditioning boom in the 60s and 70s.  2% per year (or less) on average for 20 years, possibly slower even...if we use the batteries like we should and not only let utilities dictate things, we can save money and have a more resilient grid even.  My house batteries should let be arbitrage the energy, reduce the duck curve, etc.

On another note, there's a lot of misinformation and even disinformation here - I would say be careful if you are getting your information from only one side.  Anyway, getting way off topic, so I'm going to bail now.

I dont get my information from pundits I prefer scientists and engineers.
"No man is an island"