Author Topic: NEW Laser To Screen Coming Soon  (Read 2839 times)

Offline 1964GN

NEW Laser To Screen Coming Soon
« on: May 06, 2023, 09:55:36 AM »
There is finally a NEW LTS unit coming and we may be getting one of the first to beta in the US.
What I have learned so far...

• Works with any emulsion. There is no need for the factory to calibrate it for you.
  • 1 up... 23x31 or 25x36
  • Resolution up to around 5000 dpi is possible (some of there high end bank note machine go up to 10,000 to 12000 dpi)
  • User upgradable by simply adding more banks of laser diodes. Base unit would be around 2-ish minutes per screen with the ability do add laser banks and reduce that down to around 30-ish sec.
  • Adding additional laser banks takes about 3-4 minutes
  • Utilizes 1 bit tiff and comes with the RIP
  • Comes with a built in step test for easy user calibration for different mesh counts and emulsion, just like you do now when you switch emulsion, exposure unit, etc. No tech or factory calibration needed.
  • When performing a step test you are adjusting the power vs time like you do with more traditional exposure units
  • Laser diode expected life span of 20,000 hours
  • The lasers in this unit do not move. The laser banks are static and the light is sent via fiber optic to a single lens.
  • The single lens travels on a Maglev rail when exposing the screen. There are virtually zero maintenance points on this system.
  • The laser travels at 4.5 meters per second and fires at 1 million times per second.
  • Pre reg systems for all major brands are available. MHM pin, M&R Tri-lock, ROQ, etc.
  • This unit is also capable of plate making by adding plate making lasers. You can switch between plate making and screen making with a push of a button
  • Manufactured by the world leader in laser CTS and CTP (computer to plate), Luscher Technologies in Switzerland.
I don't have exact pricing but I expect it to be similar to the Saati unit from the numbers I've heard thrown around, but the price really depends on how many lasers you get so I expect with less lasers it would be cheaper than the Saati for most 1-3 auto shops. Adding a laser bank is expected to be around 20k give or take. As your screen production requirements grow you don't necessarily need to add another CTS to keep up. Add more banks and cut screen making time in half.
With our Douthitt are are around a 2 to 2.5 minutes to image a full size print (printing unidirectional, plus exposure time). We do 20-30 screens per day currently and don't have a need for a 30 sec exposure. A 2 minute total exposure time would speed things up a bit so we can opt to go with less lasers, which brings the price down.
I still have a lot of questions but based on the people I have talked to that are familiar with Luscher, and the machines that they make, I suspect this thing is the real deal.
This new Chippy Tee podcast episode has a good discussion on the basics https://youtu.be/wrkmBQ0472w

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: NEW Laser To Screen Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 02:52:52 PM »
I listened to the podcast, sounds good but I'd like to know the cost, can't  get answers on that yet.
I think it's overkill for small shops, if you are doing 30 screens a day how can you justify the expense?
What dpi can you hold on your screens?     Also what dpi can you actually print?
Who needs 5000dpi?      It's like putting a jet motor on a bicycle.
I get great results from my Douthitt, as far as I see it the only real justification for a Lazer is financial, do you produce enough screens a day to make saving time and wax worth while.
For most of us it doesn't make economic sense.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »
Depending on how many laser banks you get the price range is expected to be 80k-140k. If you do the math you may find that 80k is not that much more than a Douthitt (for example) over a 5-6 year period. Our Douthitt is 3 1/2 years old and it's way over due for a new print head. The print head life is about 2-3 years and replacement cost is $4600.

A new Douthitt is about 55k and a decent exposure unit is 10-15k. 2 print heads in 5-6 years is $9200. Add the cost of wax over that period and you are easily over 80K. We also have a 5k metal halide exposure unit and replace the bulb every 2 - 2 1/2 years. I forget what the bulb costs but they are not cheap.

So, if you look at the long term, the laser is less expense to own and maintain over time. Extend that math out to 10-15 years. We don't buy based on the "get in" price. We buy based on current and projected future needs.

A machine like this would future proof our screen making.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 09:11:10 AM by 1964GN »

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 08:09:12 PM »
Depending on how many laser banks you get the price range is expected to be 80k-140k. If you do the math you may find that 80k is not that much more than a Douthitt (for example) over a 5-6 year period. Our Douthitt is 3 1/2 years old and it's way over due for a new print head. The print head life is about 2-3 years and replacement cost is $4600.

A new Douthitt is about 55k and a decent exposure unit is 10-15k. 2 print heads in 5-6 years is $9200. Add the cost of wax over that period and you are easily over 80K. We also have a 5k metal halide exposure unit and replace the bulb every 2 - 2 1/2 years. I forget what the bulb costs but they are not cheap.

So, if you look at the long term, the laser is less expense to own and maintain over time. Extend that math out to 10-15 years. We don't buy based on the "get in" price. We buy based on current and projected future needs.

A machine like this would future proof our screen making.
And the math will look even better if you get more busy and have even more screens to make. Did they give you some sort of a special deal for testing their unit?

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 01:12:14 PM »
Nothing has been finalized for beta testing. We don't expect any special pricing and if doesn't worked as advertised they would take it back (which I doubt would happen). Again, being a beta tester for the unit is still a bit up in the air.