Author Topic: Blue Water Labs  (Read 6754 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Blue Water Labs
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2023, 10:45:59 AM »
That is it. That is also my slender self in that video....  ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline scott316

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2023, 11:00:59 AM »
Nice lol.

I have a bunch of pictures and videos of the full unit.  if anyone wants them.
Scott Thompson
404-583-4903

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2023, 05:49:07 PM »
No exp w/ Bluewater but have had an M&R auto reclaim and now a Lotus Holland. M&R had too many chains that required quite a bit of maintenance to keep clean and working well. If ignored, you may see them on Digitsmith. Also did not care for the single chemistry approach (get it out of whack and you had to drain and $tart over). The Lotus 3 chamber works much better; do not have to worry about chemical inbalanceand far less maintenance. Uses only one chain to travel the screens and it never gunks up. It uses brushes for ink removal and the reclaim chamber uses a high tech tubular belt. Very different approach to the M&R. In any case IMO all these units require a certain degree of care and maintenance. They are not plug and play push a button and Bobs your Uncle. And again, I have yet to see all screens come out perfect every time. Tape adhesives, ink pigments, water PH, and many other variables come into play. For us a quick spray of 701 and pwash fixes any troubles. Summary, they are huge time savers for the multi task screen making op. We can auto coat/ image/ de-tape/reclaim with one or two people depending. And finally, with both units we scrape the screens with a 3" stainless steel paint scraper (beveled and sanded) to clean screens before entry. It puts way less strain on the chemistry and moving parts.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »
I'm not trying to get into a contest with anyone, argue or beat my chest. I just want to share some real numbers. I am using the Bluewater Reclaim and Developer. Yesterday was a pretty typical day. We did just shy of 200 screens (195 to be precise). I have three people total in pre press and reclaim. My pre press has two people. Between them they coat, image, expose, develop, and tape screens.  My reclaim is one guy. He hauls screens off the production floor, removes tape, and runs the reclaim machine. That's my short story. Nobody was busting their ass, just moving at a good pace. We could have done a fair amount more had we needed to. Again, my number in my shop using Bluewater equipment.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 12:38:01 PM »
Mr. Dave I appreciate this info and the info you emailed over.

One point you had mentioned was water usage. I didn't ask about it in my original request but
that's actually kind of a big issue. This year is all good but the last few have been a little parched out west.

For those of you using these and are able to see water usage have you noticed a big increase?
I would like to think that a robot would be more precise than us lowly humans.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2023, 01:27:56 PM »
Mr. Dave I appreciate this info and the info you emailed over.

One point you had mentioned was water usage. I didn't ask about it in my original request but
that's actually kind of a big issue. This year is all good but the last few have been a little parched out west.

For those of you using these and are able to see water usage have you noticed a big increase?
I would like to think that a robot would be more precise than us lowly humans.

I don't know what the actual measurement of usage refers to on the bill, gallons used maybe? But the usage is about 3x since adding our machine. Which roughly doubled the bill water bill.  The neat thing about ours is we have 2 water services here at my building. Suite 2 ONLY uses water for our reclaim, no other water is used back there. So we can see easily the bill difference.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2023, 01:56:35 PM »

I don't know what the actual measurement of usage refers to on the bill, gallons used maybe? But the usage is about 3x since adding our machine. Which roughly doubled the bill water bill.  The neat thing about ours is we have 2 water services here at my building. Suite 2 ONLY uses water for our reclaim, no other water is used back there. So we can see easily the bill difference.

Excellent point of data, interesting that you have that ability.

Do any of these machines recycle water at all? Seems like a possibility what with the giant pumps and whatnot.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2023, 02:11:14 PM »

Excellent point of data, interesting that you have that ability.

Do any of these machines recycle water at all? Seems like a possibility what with the giant pumps and whatnot.

Ya when we bought our building it had 2 suites, we rented out the other. When our building caught fire we kicked them out and knocked the wall down and its all one building again, but still has 2 water services.

To get the city to combine the services was complicated/added time/cost. So when we took the back over we just turned on the second water service. It only is used for the Blue Water machine and the wash out booth (blowing out burnt screens). So we can see specifically what changed pretty easily.

I know everything that goes through the machine goes back into it, filters it and reuses, I do not know at what amount its evaporated/turns to mist/etc. I know we have to add some chemistry to it every X amount of screens. I could ask my guy what we are doing specifically there if you want.

Over all the effort needed to reclaim is a fraction though, so quality of life is way up. I haven't heard a peep about that being a shitty task since adding it. Plus the nice thing is any one can be trained to do it so fast.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2023, 04:39:51 PM »
Who said "Dave 's not here man"? As usual our results are similar but different to Barth's with regards to how many per hour however we dont reclaim 8 hrs per day. The difference for me is that it is no longer an interruptive, independent job function. It is something we now do while we are doing other things simultaneously. I believe the Bluewater units have the air knife jet exit advantage BTW. Only ones I know of.
Best, Tommy Chong aka tonypep

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2023, 05:02:29 PM »
Both my reclaim and developer have the air knives. Coming out of reclaim, screens can be coated immediately. Coming out of developer, ready to tape. These are two bottlenecks I'm glad I have no more.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2023, 09:36:27 PM »
I haven't heard a peep about that being a shitty task since adding it. Plus the nice thing is any one can be trained to do it so fast.
It's much like the difference between manual and auto printing. Sure auto printing is still *work*, but it's consistent and much easier to train someone to do it right.

We have a new (replacement) IT SWR here. First one ran for 23 years.

It has separate ink removal and stencil remover tanks that are recirculatory (with vertical brushes, a la car wash). The final rinse after degreasing is not recirculated. Warm air knives at the end. The whole thing is a 27 foot long monolith of stainless steel.   :o

There was some futzing with chems to get the right dilutions at first but now it's humming along. I don't have an idea if there was an increase or decrease in water usage, as it was basically a swap out. I'll need to look at the water bill history in a few quarters.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)