Author Topic: Compressor down  (Read 1914 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Compressor down
« on: May 22, 2023, 02:33:33 PM »
Our 3 year old Quincy 208/3phase compressor threw a rod or something in the compressor head. As you can guess just getting a tech to come or deal with warrantly is going to take some time. We are completely dead with out a compressor. I found a 3 phase used but it is a 240V motor. I really do not know if I want to gamble with this. Whats your thoughts on trying to run a 240 with 208? I am worried the starter  will trip, I know it will be less efficient but it would be temporarily.

I prefer to find a 3phase because that is all that is wired to the spot where all the plumbing is, yes I would swap the 3phase breaker to a 208 breaker and abandon one wire but I really want to avoid that if possible.
"No man is an island"

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Compressor down
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 02:49:53 PM »
240v motors are typically fine on 208, most are even labelled so.

Whatever you get keep it as backup in case your main goes again.
Two is one and one is none.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 03:23:37 PM »
are you renting to get going? Sun rentals or something like it?
would give you time to get a good backup.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 03:52:47 PM »
are you renting to get going? Sun rentals or something like it?
would give you time to get a good backup.

No rentals available anywhere with in twenty miles. Trying to get a loaner form our supplier till the new one is fixed or replaced but all the have is rotaries at the moment. I guess we will grab the used one run it then store it for a back up.
"No man is an island"

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 04:09:28 PM »
Not sure how much air you need... I bought a huskey from HD in a jam one time. I had to run at 70% for 2 weeks until I got my regular compressor going. I think I spent about $1200. I got it same day and still have it as back up if the big one goes down. I have them both serviced 3 - 4 times a year. It might be worth looking in to.
 I see it is $1700 now  :'( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-80-Gal-2-Stage-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C803H/203187348
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 04:15:50 PM »
I got aggravated and rented the industrial kind that gets towed. Wound up getting too much water in the press. Live and learn.
steve

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 04:19:43 PM »
I got aggravated and rented the industrial kind that gets towed. Wound up getting too much water in the press. Live and learn.

Yea they are not willing to lend us a rotary because they did not install the refrigerator or supply it, even tho we have a high end sullivan with automatic water purge.
"No man is an island"

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 05:18:16 PM »
Our 3 year old Quincy 208/3phase compressor threw a rod or something in the compressor head. As you can guess just getting a tech to come or deal with warrantly is going to take some time. We are completely dead with out a compressor. I found a 3 phase used but it is a 240V motor. I really do not know if I want to gamble with this. Whats your thoughts on trying to run a 240 with 208? I am worried the starter  will trip, I know it will be less efficient but it would be temporarily.

I prefer to find a 3phase because that is all that is wired to the spot where all the plumbing is, yes I would swap the 3phase breaker to a 208 breaker and abandon one wire but I really want to avoid that if possible.

Is your service definitely 208V (3 phase wye) or does it meter higher (or lower?) The plate on the compressor (or the motor) would state if it's ok for 208V/230V/240V etc. If not, it may struggle to even start let alone run.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 08:41:28 AM »
When ours blew up we rented one, not working is not a option. It didn't take them long to repair ours, entire head was needed. We recently took that one out of service in favor of a 25hp Unit. BEAST.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 10:01:33 AM »
All I can say is Quincy gets a big fat F! I called US Engineering up in Mass and man what awesome people. I drove up their and had a brand new 7.5HP 80 Gal 3PH Ingersoll Rand compressor on a truck and back at work in 3 hours. The unit is a million  times nicer than the Quincy, has an after cooler and valve drain timer stock, and a low oil shut off. Way quieter than the quincy and the people up their in Westfield were awesome.

I will take the pump off the quincy and see about rebuilding it or replacing it then saving for a back up. But Quincy can pound sand and never get a drop of business from us again.
"No man is an island"

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 11:09:09 AM »
Glad you got it worked out. The auto drains are 100% worth it.

We bought two Kaeser SX5s last year and have them setup to run in parallel when the demand calls for it. When the demand isn't there 1 or both will shut off. Our electric bill went from 1K / month with our old Sullair to about $300 or so. They were expensive units, but they are so quiet we can actually have a conversation in the back now. Redundancy is great to have, but the best thing was getting units that were sized appropriately. 100 CFM was just totally nuts for our needs. Downsizing compressors and adding redundancy was one of the best things we've done.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 11:17:40 AM »
Glad you got it worked out. The auto drains are 100% worth it.

We bought two Kaeser SX5s last year and have them setup to run in parallel when the demand calls for it. When the demand isn't there 1 or both will shut off. Our electric bill went from 1K / month with our old Sullair to about $300 or so. They were expensive units, but they are so quiet we can actually have a conversation in the back now. Redundancy is great to have, but the best thing was getting units that were sized appropriately. 100 CFM was just totally nuts for our needs. Downsizing compressors and adding redundancy was one of the best things we've done.

We talked rotary and just like Quincy they recommended not going that route. The way he explained is that Rotaries like to start up and just run, they do not do well in an on/off constant cycle like we would do with the auto press and heat presses. But what we have is very nice now, a much duller less clangy sound than the quincy. I have the 80 gallon tank still from our older compressor that is piped in series which doubles our capacity, plus the new 7.5 HP will fill them faster.
"No man is an island"