Author Topic: Can't adjust a .png  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Can't adjust a .png
« on: May 24, 2023, 01:00:54 PM »
I had a customer send me a .png, black on a transparent background, RGB mode, it has some soft edges. Normally, I'd open Levels or Curves, and bring the ends together to "harden" it and lose the grays. No matter what I do, absolutely nothing happens to the image. If I take the eyedropper tool, and have the Info pallet open, when I hover over black, I get "0" in the RGB section, and like 60,60,60, 80 in the CMYK section. Also, there is no Histogram in the Curves box, or the Levels box. Hmmmm...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Can't adjust a .png
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 01:48:29 PM »
I had a customer send me a .png, black on a transparent background, RGB mode, it has some soft edges. Normally, I'd open Levels or Curves, and bring the ends together to "harden" it and lose the grays. No matter what I do, absolutely nothing happens to the image. If I take the eyedropper tool, and have the Info pallet open, when I hover over black, I get "0" in the RGB section, and like 60,60,60, 80 in the CMYK section. Also, there is no Histogram in the Curves box, or the Levels box. Hmmmm...

Steve
Without seeing a copy this could be as elusive as the Bermuda Triangle to figure out, lol.  Hmmm
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 01:54:20 PM »
I think it needs a white background to work.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 04:36:23 PM »

ta-dah! that was it Inkman! As soon as I read that it made sense, no white, nothing to adjust. Here's a pic of the offending art before adding the white layer. Thanks guys.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 10:23:49 AM »

ta-dah! that was it Inkman! As soon as I read that it made sense, no white, nothing to adjust. Here's a pic of the offending art before adding the white layer. Thanks guys.

Glad to help.I catch myself sometimes forgetting that I need a back ground before doing certain adjustments. Its a bit annoying.
"No man is an island"