Author Topic: this might be the end...  (Read 6175 times)

Offline 1964GN

Re: this might be the end...
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2023, 09:26:19 AM »
Forum software is evolving but not at a pace I wish it would, although a couple are becoming much more mobile friendly. FB groups give people near instant gratification but the answers are often incorrect. Groups also offer no topic organization. This is a big reason forums are still relevant today.

My oldest forum was started in 2007. As FB groups became more popular I was sure it was the end, but it's still going strong and continues to earn a decent annual revenue, and the user base keeps expanding.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2023, 11:58:39 AM »
Forum software is evolving but not at a pace I wish it would, although a couple are becoming much more mobile friendly. FB groups give people near instant gratification but the answers are often incorrect. Groups also offer no topic organization. This is a big reason forums are still relevant today.

My oldest forum was started in 2007. As FB groups became more popular I was sure it was the end, but it's still going strong and continues to earn a decent annual revenue, and the user base keeps expanding.

Yes it has gotten better, but many forums haven't adopted the best software or use out of date forums and they simply die. The ones that do move to something more user friendly extend the life.

Sure some incorrect stuff is posted on FB groups, but that's true of forums too or any group. Including this one. That's not a FB problem or a forum problem...that's just a knowledge/experience/human problem.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but my point stands. In general forums are dying or are dead already. I welcome forums to stay, but reality is...they just aren't largely.

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2023, 12:19:26 PM »

There are always exceptions to the rule, but my point stands. In general forums are dying or are dead already. I welcome forums to stay, but reality is...they just aren't largely.

That's what people told me 10 years ago.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2023, 02:54:17 PM »
Well, be it Rock Roth or 1964Gn or whomever. I'll assist where I can. As the three of us continue to get tied up with our own business/life, it's hard to dedicate a lot of effort into pushing the forum with marketing. I can only assist where I can. Some contributions, some art/sep info, and the occasional video training links and the occasional mention and link while on FB.

Obviously, the ease of phone usage for a forum would make it better.   The point remains that an easy phone app is not THE only reason for FB groups to be doing so well.  The biggest part of it is that you're already there with everyone else in your world in your face. Unlike a screen print forum.

I for one, prefer to get on the computer rather than look at a tiny phone screen. Like right now, I have my phone beside me, but jumped on the computer to come here. Personal preference maybe and I don't think I'm alone. But that doesn't take away from the fact that the fresh crowd are all about phone usage and the older crowd going on their phone when not at a computer and have down time. Organization is one major thing that makes a forum much better than FB groups.

Over the last 5 years, I've often heard people say they know of this forum but they seem to get nervous about coming on our forum and becoming a member for the lack of experience, so they lurk and eventually go where other inexperienced people gravitate to/go.
They say they are intimidated. Why that might be, I have not really seen here. It's not like we are rude and fight like they do on FB groups. When someone here makes a post that is wrong, we are much more polite about correcting that information. But that is also an attraction. People like to watch a confrontation/argument.

Moderating is also excellent here.  As we all know, we do not permit people to fly off at the handle. Andy also took the lead on an exceptional job of protecting this forum. Over the years, every day, he was taking the time to keep an eye out and act fast to remove all post and ban spam/phishers etc.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2023, 10:01:38 AM »

That's what people told me 10 years ago.

That's great, as I clearly mentioned there are exceptions to the rule.

Largely my point is very correct. I used to frequent dozens of forums that are either gone none or have zero activity now and some poor sole hasn't pulled the plug yet.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2023, 10:50:17 AM »
Obviously, the ease of phone usage for a forum would make it better.   The point remains that an easy phone app is not THE only reason for FB groups to be doing so well.  The biggest part of it is that you're already there with everyone else in your world in your face. Unlike a screen print forum.

Who said it was the "ONLY" reason like you keep on about? There is no "ONLY" reason. But there are big ones and like you just said its because they are already there....  But why are they already there in 2023? It is because it's popular/high activity with their friends and family, its on the phone where everyone is consuming their info already and all of that is accessed for most people by the App. These things all feed each other. App gets better, usage goes up. Usage goes up, more people get accounts and the App. Those are big big reasons....there is no "ONLY" reason.

I don't want this or other forums to go away, as mentioned. So I hope they don't but I also don't want to visit a dead forum every day either.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2023, 12:34:37 PM »
I will miss this place terribly. The group has been a great help to me and my family.
If it does not work out... I wish you all the best!
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2023, 09:16:14 AM »
I it is picked up by Rick Roth or 1964GN, will that be announced here? Like today or tomorrow? Somewhere on FB or Instagram? I'm starting to feel a little sad...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2023, 12:14:28 PM »
I enjoyed stalking here over the years for sure. A constant tab open in my browser with this site up on it. Much appreciated to all who shared their knowledge! Take care and best of luck to everyone. Stay busy!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2023, 12:40:51 PM »
I enjoyed stalking here over the years for sure. A constant tab open in my browser with this site up on it. Much appreciated to all who shared their knowledge! Take care and best of luck to everyone. Stay busy!

Could not have said it better. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2023, 12:42:40 PM »

Could not have said it better.

take care Pops, I'll pour out a little Tim Hortons for ya...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Rick Roth

• Administrator
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »
It is not the end. Inkkitchen.com has rescued it before it disappeared.

Thanks go to Pierre who orchestrated this to no benefit of his own.

We hope to both retain all the knowledge and good will that is in these pages and with some effort take it forward, most likely with assistance of all of you.

You will be hearing more soon.

Rick Roth
Founder - inkkitchen.com
Rick Roth
Mirror Image Inc      Pawtucket, RI 
New blog: theinkkitchen.com
twitter: @TheInkKitchen
mirrorimage.com   and   monkeyfishprinting.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2023, 04:29:08 PM »
It is not the end. Inkkitchen.com has rescued it before it disappeared.

Thanks go to Pierre who orchestrated this to no benefit of his own.

We hope to both retain all the knowledge and good will that is in these pages and with some effort take it forward, most likely with assistance of all of you.

You will be hearing more soon.

Rick Roth
Founder - inkkitchen.com

Thank you, sir, I know we all appreciate it. It's a pretty good group here.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2023, 10:52:47 AM »
Thanks Rick!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2023, 11:55:18 AM »
Nice save, now lets see if the users start using it again.