Author Topic: Automatic Down  (Read 2586 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Automatic Down
« on: June 02, 2023, 11:19:00 AM »
This is probably pointless but might as well try.

I have one of the "Playtex" machines, it has been a major pain in the ass for a while now. Electrical gremlins non stop, been cannibalizing one of the heads for parts to keep the others going. Mainly electric over air solenoids, control panels etc. Now today it is a data run to long fatal error. Cant print a thing. I know a souple people on this board have the brand and maybe they have some insight. I do not know who or where to call for support, Randy at Otis is impossible to make contact with and I do not even know if they even are in business anymore.
"No man is an island"

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Automatic Down
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 01:27:22 PM »
no idea who they are but with some digging you might be able to find out...
guy that sells Mustangs here in US might know. Also try to figure out the contact info for the guy that makes them in Poland (I think). Supposedly he was pretty helpful.
Alan used to have one, he's stopped by few moths back. He had contact info for somebody in US that was working on them. Also Brian Hanes had one and was actually a tech. See if you can find him.

maybe look around for a used ROQ, they are starting to pop up on the used market at a reasonable price now.
If you feel like driving to Cleveland, you can borrow ours until you get something else. We have a 4/8 disassembled in the warehouse. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, we needed slimmer arms for the sleeves. Don't want to sell it as we will need it eventually.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 02:08:41 PM »
no idea who they are but with some digging you might be able to find out...
guy that sells Mustangs here in US might know. Also try to figure out the contact info for the guy that makes them in Poland (I think). Supposedly he was pretty helpful.
Alan used to have one, he's stopped by few moths back. He had contact info for somebody in US that was working on them. Also Brian Hanes had one and was actually a tech. See if you can find him.

maybe look around for a used ROQ, they are starting to pop up on the used market at a reasonable price now.
If you feel like driving to Cleveland, you can borrow ours until you get something else. We have a 4/8 disassembled in the warehouse. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, we needed slimmer arms for the sleeves. Don't want to sell it as we will need it eventually.

Since Barnes dropped out everything Printex in the US dried up. The Mustang I think was some weird adventure with Barnes and some other people, not sure the connection with Printex.  Brian retired from the print game years ago and I really hate bothering him on this stuff even tho he has a toon of knowledge on it. Poland is a nightmare, when our indexer rapped out I had to deal with them for a new ball and screw but it was not viable and Randy at OTS helped us, still took 6 weeks.

Fortunately I have solved the current gremlin, turns out a cracked solder joint on one of the print head control panels. I have it temporarily working but seriously need all new control boards for the whole machine.

WI had enough of the machine I am going to sell it but I wont sell a headache to someone so I need to source all kinds of parts get it 100% then look at what to buy next. ROQ or M&R is definitely what to buy.

I am going to be making some posts searching for sources for some of the odd SMC knock off parts that I cannot find easily.
"No man is an island"

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 08:37:39 PM »
As always try turning it on and off. Check incoming power to make sure you are getting the correct voltage on all the legs.
What exactly is the error message?
Usually "too long" errors the machine is looking for something and can't find it. Make sure the two power supplies in the base cabinet are powered up and putting out 24volts. Look for loose connections mainly between the control panel, panel swing arm, center green boards and index card in the base.
Check the servo amp is powered up and no fault codes.
Unplug the flashes from the press to make sure they are not interfering.

For the record I am semi retired, still do service work for local and a couple of long time customers that have the brand "not to be mentioned".

Yes still building and shipping laser alignment units weekly.

Yes still stalk this page but looks like that will end in a few days.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 04:23:37 PM »
As always try turning it on and off. Check incoming power to make sure you are getting the correct voltage on all the legs.
What exactly is the error message?
Usually "too long" errors the machine is looking for something and can't find it. Make sure the two power supplies in the base cabinet are powered up and putting out 24volts. Look for loose connections mainly between the control panel, panel swing arm, center green boards and index card in the base.
Check the servo amp is powered up and no fault codes.
Unplug the flashes from the press to make sure they are not interfering.

For the record I am semi retired, still do service work for local and a couple of long time customers that have the brand "not to be mentioned".

Yes still building and shipping laser alignment units weekly.

Yes still stalk this page but looks like that will end in a few days.

Hey Brian been a while. I sorted the data error, it was a cracked solder joint on one of the plugs on a head control panel. Put a little artificial preload on it and now it works. Temproraily ofcourse.

I am looking to source a lot of parts for the machine, solenoids, pc boards, gaskets that g behind the air valve blocks on each head. God knows most of them leak now. Most of those parts are hard to find because they are Chinese knock offs. Randy does not return calls anymore and no one answers at OTS.
"No man is an island"