Author Topic: UPS and Coming Strike  (Read 8622 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: UPS and Coming Strike
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »
Just noticed McMaster used FedEx for us, a first.

The end is nigh.

It's hard to not see it that way, but life always finds a way. Trying to be upbeat...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2023, 01:50:12 PM »
We've started this week preparing for the worst.  some things on our mind -

Keeping the shop busy.  We're trying to close up any bids and get as many blanks in transit today and tomorrow.  Unfortunately we don't have a local distributor warehouse anymore, so picking up at S&S isn't an option.

Shipping out goods for non-local folks.  Anything scheduled for next week that is for a non-local client, we'll finish this week so we can get it in transit now.  Local-ish clients we can deliver or find a courier.

We want to avoid having inbound or outbound goods stuck in UPS's custody during the strike, we're going to stop ordering inbound blanks via UPS on the 24th.  We should maybe pull that up a few days. 

The distributors have a ton of product coming in each day via LTL and going out to printers via UPS, they're going to be motivated to move product to avoid an inventory glut.  Hopefully they'll have some backup options, we might just have to hold ordering until we have a pallet's worth, maybe Alpha will send our mixed orders via pallets. 

I expect clients to be understanding since we'll all be in the same boat, but having enough blanks on hand to keep the staff busy is probably the top concern. 

Hopefully we can just avoid all of this though....

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
a
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2023, 02:57:43 PM »
I think there's too much money on the line, higher ups need to realize without employees they are nothing
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2023, 02:59:11 PM »
We are prepared to do our own hauling, we are lucy to be between Robinsville NJ (Sanmar) and Middleboro MA (Alpha). Worse comes to worse we will rent a box truck and do deliveries and pick ups.
"No man is an island"

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: a
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2023, 05:51:15 PM »
I think there's too much money on the line, higher ups need to realize without employees they are nothing

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D This is UPS we are talking about. Unfortunately, a realization like that will NEVER happen.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2023, 09:38:46 AM »
We are prepared to do our own hauling, we are lucy to be between Robinsville NJ (Sanmar) and Middleboro MA (Alpha). Worse comes to worse we will rent a box truck and do deliveries and pick ups.

We are west of Boston, so Middleboro will be what we have to do. Not sure about the SanMar products, but we'll see when we get there. There used to be a Bodek & Rhodes in the area too, but that was then, this is now.

Steve

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: a
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2023, 10:49:58 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D This is UPS we are talking about. Unfortunately, a realization like that will NEVER happen.

The company one my sons works with is going through something like this now, they want to cut work staff but not the higher ups that makes the big bucks, if you got an EX in front of your name you better believe your against anything that cuts some your pay to give workers a little more.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2023, 03:38:42 PM »
My UPS driver who's been a friend for years just told me his internal Management said that if there is not a deal by Monday, they will stop picking up by Wednesday. FedEx Driver also told my UPS driver that internally they are going to handle their regular customers first and the rest of us as they can. Which I guess is logical.

Expect a mess.

Hey GraphicDisorder, does your UPS friend still plan to stop picking up on Wednesday?  It makes sense that they would want to limit the number of packages in their custody during a strike.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2023, 05:34:37 PM »
Our driver tells us this morning that it seems to be down to one sticking point, whatever that is...

Steve

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2023, 06:46:21 PM »
My UPS driver who's been a friend for years just told me his internal Management said that if there is not a deal by Monday, they will stop picking up by Wednesday. FedEx Driver also told my UPS driver that internally they are going to handle their regular customers first and the rest of us as they can. Which I guess is logical.

Expect a mess.

Hey GraphicDisorder, does your UPS friend still plan to stop picking up on Wednesday?  It makes sense that they would want to limit the number of packages in their custody during a strike.

Yes on the Wednesday

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2023, 08:31:13 AM »

Expect a mess.

He told us yesterday they are confident they will reach agreement today. They picked up as normal yesterday.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2023, 08:31:54 AM »
Worth noting, for the first time EVER we got some Amazon stuff yesterday by FedEx.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2023, 11:59:02 AM »
Worth noting, for the first time EVER we got some Amazon stuff yesterday by FedEx.

UPS here doesn't deliver Amazon.  I thought it was company wide, not just our region.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2023, 12:49:59 PM »
Thank jeebus.

I wonder how much damage has been done already though. If McMaster doesn't switch back to
UPS you'll see a grown man cry.