Author Topic: Air Purifier vs small shop air  (Read 4244 times)

Offline OhNoPrinting

• Verified/Junior
  • I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
Air Purifier vs small shop air
« on: September 24, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »
hey,

was reading about the Environmental Impact of Screenprinting Methods (specifically Plastisol and Discharge / http://fairware.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Environmental-Review-of-Screenprinting-Methods-1.pdf) and because i work in a pretty small, not at all ventilated space, was wondering if anybody is using Air Purifier or industrial Hepa filter systems?

The question arises also, because I see so many Youtube videos of reclaiming, without any breathing mask - isn´t that really asking for it?

So one task for me is to use a fullface mask for reclaiming (your local firefighters might sort them out and sell them dirt cheap), working on the dryer to vent outside with a pipe, and well, thinking about an Air Purifier to counter the flash dryer smoke.

What are the "small-shop"-homies doing about their health?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Air Purifier vs small shop air
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 12:25:00 PM »
I believe for the most part, the reclaim chemicals are much better than they were 20 years ago.  There is much more awareness these days. I’m not saying all of them are ok or harmless.  Some chemicals and companies are better than others. We used a lot of EasyWay products.

I wore a mask 20% of the time and preferred doing so more out of habit. During Covid it became a hassle to have various people doing reclaim due to adding a more mask and filters and keeping up with cleaning out those mask at every use. While I did not wear anything sometimes, it never bothered me at all. And I supposedly have COPD, allergies to almost everything and asthma.

On the flip side of that, I had one female employee that felt her hair was falling out due to reclaim chemicals.  Was it real or imagined?  I don’t know. We just took her out of that position and maybe that’s all she really wanted.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 12:27:42 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 09:49:11 AM »
hey,

was reading about the Environmental Impact of Screenprinting Methods (specifically Plastisol and Discharge / http://fairware.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Environmental-Review-of-Screenprinting-Methods-1.pdf) and because i work in a pretty small, not at all ventilated space, was wondering if anybody is using Air Purifier or industrial Hepa filter systems?

The question arises also, because I see so many Youtube videos of reclaiming, without any breathing mask - isn´t that really asking for it?

So one task for me is to use a fullface mask for reclaiming (your local firefighters might sort them out and sell them dirt cheap), working on the dryer to vent outside with a pipe, and well, thinking about an Air Purifier to counter the flash dryer smoke.

What are the "small-shop"-homies doing about their health?
Never reclaim without a good mask, never. And same goes for spot remover fluid, make sure you use it in a well-ventilated area. That stuff is toxic. Read the MSDS and follow instructions. Screen reclaimer can cause chemical burns on your hands, imagine what it might do to your lungs over a longer period of time. Or your eyes.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 10:13:33 AM »
Wow!  That’s sounds horrible.  Never experienced that myself.  What brand chems are you using?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 10:36:53 AM »
Jeez, I'm a health time bomb. I reclaimed tens of thousands of screens maskless, as well as cleaning them with lacquer thinner, prior to '92. I am relatively pretty healthy for my age, so good fortune/genes there. That was when I worked for someone else. In our shop, good respirators are a must in the screen room.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 11:09:05 AM »
I started in the 80's/90's shops.

Automotive parts washer for plastisol screens and squeegees - benzene, toulene, kerosene mix. Maximum fumes, all the time, whether you were near it or not.

Mineral spirits to clean the pallets and press.

Tri-sodium phosphate to degrease screens.

Caustic soda haze remover. (Ulano 78...it etches mesh). One tiny dot on your skin burned like fire.

No exhaust on the spot remover gun.

Oh and we all smoked at least a pack a day (just not at the press...usually)

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 11:32:58 AM »
I guess if we all did the right thing in our reclaim rooms we would all dang near have on hazmat suits, my reclaim is right outside my back door so I'm all in the fresh air.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »
This year I lost two friends/reps of over 30 years each. I wonder what effect the chemistry over the years may have had on them. Both died from lung problems. Yes both smoked for many years. And both went through Covid. But I wonder.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 12:47:41 PM »
Respirator and gloves always in reclaim and Corsi–Rosenthal Box's in the printing area. I was really surprised at the difference they made knocking down the lint in the air.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 09:27:39 PM »
Wow!  That’s sounds horrible.  Never experienced that myself.  What brand chems are you using?
We got plenty of stuff from CCI.

Offline OhNoPrinting

• Verified/Junior
  • I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 06:11:27 AM »
I learned pretty early on, that dehazer/ghost image remover also easy removes your skin..  :'(

here a wikipedia link to the Corsi–Rosenthal Box https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsi%E2%80%93Rosenthal_Box

Great idea. But not sure if I couldn´t get a second-hand commercial/industrial unit and replace the filter for cheaper, but sometimes diy is enough.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 08:23:56 PM »
It’s the dust that kills me.. not only is it annoying to clean, but it def gets into lungs. Dust + spray tac = bad bad. Maybe it’s just the comfort colors idk…. But we bought two powermatic filtration units that they use in woodworking shops. They’ve cut down the dust a lot. One is up high over the dryer and the other is under a press at an angle to catch dust and spray tack. Planning on adding a third here for under the other press. Since we got them they do reduce the amt of dust that we have to clean. But we do go through a lot of filters. Once you see that filter tho…  you realize what everyone has been breathing for so long. Not good. Powermatic makes good units, just keep up on the filter changes. It’s more often than you’d think.