Author Topic: M&R Parts Availability. Not impressed.  (Read 4013 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: M&R Parts Availability. Not impressed.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2024, 07:04:56 AM »
Brandon, I was joking. About the smokes at least
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2024, 07:23:10 AM »
Admiral, did you replace it yourself? I'm a little iffy on trying it as I'm not comfortable working with gas. (insert your comments now) I talked to two HVAC companies here in town and neither would touch it. I may have to give it a try though. Just need a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes and go to town

ive tried to get HVAC companies to work on our dryers - replacing a maxitrol valve - the only guy that i could get was one that was 50+ years old and was confident that he could do it - he sourced the valve, replaced it and we were back up and printing.  i would look for one that is familiar with "make up air units" and similar industrial stuff (maybe even pizza ovens) - the make up air units also use a modulating gas valve to heat air that get gets pushed into a warehouse. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2024, 05:55:04 PM »
For those of you having to replace these valves, do you have a dirt leg before the machine inlet?
I know NG quality varies from dirty to gawdawful depending on where you are in the country.

I took the modulating valve (the kind with a motor that moves an actual valve) off our old American
and used it to make an automatic smoker.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2024, 06:23:18 AM »
For those of you having to replace these valves, do you have a dirt leg before the machine inlet?
I know NG quality varies from dirty to gawdawful depending on where you are in the country.

I took the modulating valve (the kind with a motor that moves an actual valve) off our old American
and used it to make an automatic smoker.

Yes we have one, my gas guy said same thing so we have one. Our line is vertical drop and t's to the machine, but the vertical line run keeps going straight to the dirt leg.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Admiral

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2024, 04:31:08 PM »
Admiral, did you replace it yourself? I'm a little iffy on trying it as I'm not comfortable working with gas. (insert your comments now) I talked to two HVAC companies here in town and neither would touch it. I may have to give it a try though. Just need a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes and go to town

Yes, used the correct thread tape + paste and sprayed soapy water to check for leaks.  We also have CO / natural gas detectors near our natural gas equipment.

What's funny is our gas meter leaks outside and I smell that natural gas all the time, I brought it up with our utility and they said it was for "venting purposes" and normal.  Sounds to me like they like having to buy extra natural gas and not fix the leak at our meter...or it's some really old style and they don't want to replace it because it's a big supply line and expensive.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2024, 05:00:19 PM »
I may give it a go. And we have a roof top unit for heat and AC. After having a number of HVAC people out to do various things and mentioning I smelled gas, the last guy here agreed and fixed a leak. If I can smell it, it's leaking. 35 years of printing and my nose doesn't work too well. Thanks for your input
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Northland

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2024, 07:19:16 PM »
The meter outside has a regulator, which helps control the pressure/flow of gas into your home or business. There are times it will normally bleed-off or "burp" small amounts of gas to keep the pressure from building too high in your home. This is normal. So if you are near a meter you might smell it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 07:22:00 PM by Northland »

Offline Admiral

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2024, 10:19:49 AM »
The meter outside has a regulator, which helps control the pressure/flow of gas into your home or business. There are times it will normally bleed-off or "burp" small amounts of gas to keep the pressure from building too high in your home. This is normal. So if you are near a meter you might smell it.

That's definitely what it is.  Thanks for the confirmation.  It's often it smells and probably because it's a huge meter / line it is way more noticeable.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2024, 06:24:31 PM »

Yes we have one, my gas guy said same thing so we have one. Our line is vertical drop and t's to the machine, but the vertical line run keeps going straight to the dirt leg.

Dang. I was hoping we were somehow in the clear, especially seeing as replacement valves are NLA.