screen printing > 4 Color and Simulated Process Printing

Oops I did it again.. CMYK print part II

<< < (2/2)

CBCB:

--- Quote from: zanegun08 on January 14, 2024, 11:37:51 PM ---I've taken the Mark Coudray halftone mastery class, and while you can learn a lot to do things in that perfect scientific way, who cares, just sell a good product you stand behind and keep improving.  Print shops aren't science labs, you could print ketchup though cheesecloth and if it looks cool I'll back it, the end result is what matters.  There are people doing amazing quality work that blows away most in the US industry with more basic setups and line table screen printing, there is no CORRECT way.

--- End quote ---

Too true.

“Veterans” talk crap on the YouTubers all the time.

The “correct way” you got from a consultant… that guy learned it himself just like a YouTuber did. Or learned it from a shop who learned it themselves and is selling it as their own knowledge now.

They’re asking questions in all the same places to all the same people. So if they are spouting bullshit then maybe wonder where they got it from. It was either through their own trial and error, or advice from an industry vet.

Even Dan has a channel.

YouTube is just as good a place to get info as TSB. Gotta watch for the same industry snakes, salesman, people who wanna help without actual experience, buddies of salesman, and consultants.

blue moon:

--- Quote from: CBCB on January 15, 2024, 06:59:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: zanegun08 on January 14, 2024, 11:37:51 PM ---I've taken the Mark Coudray halftone mastery class, and while you can learn a lot to do things in that perfect scientific way, who cares, just sell a good product you stand behind and keep improving.  Print shops aren't science labs, you could print ketchup though cheesecloth and if it looks cool I'll back it, the end result is what matters.  There are people doing amazing quality work that blows away most in the US industry with more basic setups and line table screen printing, there is no CORRECT way.

--- End quote ---

Too true.

“Veterans” talk crap on the YouTubers all the time.

The “correct way” you got from a consultant… that guy learned it himself just like a YouTuber did. Or learned it from a shop who learned it themselves and is selling it as their own knowledge now.

They’re asking questions in all the same places to all the same people. So if they are spouting bullshit then maybe wonder where they got it from. It was either through their own trial and error, or advice from an industry vet.

Even Dan has a channel.

YouTube is just as good a place to get info as TSB. Gotta watch for the same industry snakes, salesman, people who wanna help without actual experience, buddies of salesman, and consultants.

--- End quote ---

disagree here. Experts I am talking about did not wing it, or if they did it was early on. But since then they have done scientific studies, some have written graduate level papers with detailed analysis. Talking to Joe Clarke and Mark Coudray you get the information that has been studied, peer reviewed and confirmed by ppl that have a much deeper understanding of what's going on than most of us do. So no, they are not asking questions in the same places, they are going to Universities and Colleges, they are reading the scientific papers and digging deep into it. You don't see them looking for information here. Even though several of them were kind enough to come over here and share their knowledge.

pierre

OhNoPrinting:
thanks for replys - especially !! the elitist and the includist :-)

I am def here to hear the good, bad and ugly :-) - or in other words, I have two teenage daughters, I was called worth.. much worth :-)

I totally agree about youtube, great starting point - good motivation but I am right now really digging the interwebs for all these industry papers revealing the nitty gritty: found good information on the mrprint.com site, Sefar has a couple of brochures and Screen Printing Mag. Its less easy to find or consume then youtube but def more details. Still reading Joe Clarke but if anyone has a collection and wants to share: point me too it, please.

BUT with all the information (and what i know from being a graphic designer) there is nothing like practically trying it.. I would not have realized (for example) how much of a difference a second print stroke will do, because very detailed papers leave out the basics while the youtubers leave out the details.

For the print.. I did a second try and can only admit: very hard to reproduce the exact same result (for me + on manual impossible). I mean, I also took the chance to try different print orders: myck >< ymck (less red) and find out what a double stroke (vibrant colors vs. no more details) would do.

myck:

no black might save a screen:

I also burned a second black screen with less exposure time, more details show up - but I guess my inkjet film is the real problem.. made a second test with print out in 100k vs rich black for the film (will upload the fotos later but pretty clear the inkjet film isn´t as good as i needed it for 60lpi)

Conclusion:

I would not attempt to sell any of this to an actual customer and i imagine most will only want 2-3 colors anyway.. but it is a hell of fun to be able to print CMYK :-)

Keep in mind the graphics are screenshots out of youtube videos, so the quality is already a bit limited, especially that i needed to color-grade all the different faces.

I am not running a "real" shop, I learn it for the art, so i guess i am not under too much pressure.. but I also won´t be able to spend much money on it -> so old equipment but fresh enthusiasm  8)

ps: with the screens i agree, with the seps i don´t :-)

pps: should the next test be "what i dislike in screen printing" or "one of the classics"? (just kidding...maybe)

OhNoPrinting:
here the update about the inkjet film:

left was printed in 100% K, left was conceived from a kind of mixed "rich" black:
* i changed the settings in Illustrator, but didn´t really pay attention to that detail, til it was actual printed.

here the result:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version