Computers and Software > Business/Shop Management Programs

Scheduling Per press/location

<< < (3/3)

tonypep:
If you remember Barth Gimble, you might also remember "Get Smart" (okay it was aired quite a bit earlier but couldn't resist!). The show was all about Chaos vs Control. Although Maxwell Smart wasn't always in control he tried to fight the good fight. And I believe thats what most of us strive to do with scheduling, sometimes with the same amount of humor (the series was written by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry). With the exception of very large shops, as we can see with Dave and Brandt's post many of us look at scheduling as a foundational structure for what needs to be completed in a given amount of time. Not necessarily in an ABC timeline, but in a path of least resistance manner. Sometimes problematic orders take longer than expected, some presses may actually finish earlier than time allotted etc, so not to belabor the point but fluidity is usually more important than a rigid schedule; at least for most. If you don't like that analogy think of each day like a day on the football field. The game changes up constantly with the unexpected being inevitable. It takes a good coach to roll with the punches and change strategies as necessary.
All that said, I went from Printavo Calender here (lacking the cliff notes) to Printavo Power Scheduler, (over engineered for us and too much clicking to access info) and back to using a combination of both which is clunky but works for now. Interesting enough, can't seem to actually print from Power Schedular. I know, they want a computer at each work statiion but not in the cards for now.

CBCB:
I have been saying for years I wish our industry had a standardized ‘point’ for productivity.

1 screen = X
1 impression = Y
1 person = Z
A multiplier for easy/medium/hard jobs.

These threads come up all the time and get derailed into how to improve your efficiency - away from how to measure and manage it.

So many times I hear a shop saying they do Y impressions without mentioning how many setups, or people involved.

I often see big shops add another person to a press while another press sits idle.

How many points per person can you achieve in a day?

How many points is this job?

That’s how mine works. We aim for 150 points a day. A point should also equal a certain amount of revenue so you can spot when a job is not worth the points:revenue ratio. That’s how I started seeing which type of jobs are truly profitable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version