Author Topic: tape for heat pressing patches  (Read 936 times)

Offline spencer_L&KC

• Verified/Junior
tape for heat pressing patches
« on: April 04, 2024, 12:11:01 PM »
hello, I know there is a special type of tape used for DTF and sublimation, called transfer tape, but is that necessary for adhering embroidered and screen printed patches to garments? I ask because I have used my GeoKnight DK20S to press screen printed patches on fleece and a standard iron for some hats, and all I used was regular ol blue painters tape and had zero problems. no discoloring and no adhesive left behind after some lengthy presses of about 18-20 seconds (forgot the heat setting though, its been a min).

so I was wondering if others here used their presses for patch applications and what tape they were using to keep the patches in place for pressing. any input is welcome.

thanks for reading!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: tape for heat pressing patches
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 03:50:39 PM »
Transfer Express, and I'm sure others, sell a blue tape that is heat resistant, especially for this purpose.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline spencer_L&KC

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 12:40:25 PM »
Transfer Express, and I'm sure others, sell a blue tape that is heat resistant, especially for this purpose.

Steve

thanks for the reply! yeah I know the transfer tapes are available in brown/orange and green/blue, but I am curious if others have found anything that works as well. maybe something cheaper. thanks again.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 12:57:39 PM »
I got good heat tape at cheaper prices online from Temu.
Remember, it has been advised to not install and use the Temu app on the phone.
But also, take a little time and figure just how much it adds to the actual job. It's probably pennies, that you can absorb into your total cost and figure into your price easily.
Don't become "penny wise and pound foolish". It will eventually bite you in the butt.

Oh, and I don't think it's called transfer tape, as that's what's used to apply vinyl graphics. Just look for heat tape.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 01:04:30 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 02:22:30 PM »
I could be wrong but I think it's Kapton tape used in electronics.

Offline spencer_L&KC

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 01:18:01 PM »
I got good heat tape at cheaper prices online from Temu.
Remember, it has been advised to not install and use the Temu app on the phone.
But also, take a little time and figure just how much it adds to the actual job. It's probably pennies, that you can absorb into your total cost and figure into your price easily.
Don't become "penny wise and pound foolish". It will eventually bite you in the butt.

Oh, and I don't think it's called transfer tape, as that's what's used to apply vinyl graphics. Just look for heat tape.

I could be wrong but I think it's Kapton tape used in electronics.

thank you both for the replies. I suppose an $8 roll isn't really much considering how long the rolls are. I just like the idea of using cheap painters tape because it can be found locally just about anywhere and is even less expensive. we aren't doing transfers using the painters tape though, just heat pressing patches so maybe thats why it hasn't caused me any issues? it peels right off and leaves no residue behind. I was surprised by this because of the thermal/heat tape that everyone uses. that made me think it was was necessary, but if the painters tape is working, why even bother with the thermal stuff?

I think I am going to get a roll of thermal tape and do some side by side testing.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 02:00:44 AM »
I bought clear tape that works well on AliExpress cost about $2 a roll.    Comes in different widths. Rolls about 25m
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline spencer_L&KC

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 03:10:15 PM »
I bought clear tape that works well on AliExpress cost about $2 a roll.    Comes in different widths. Rolls about 25m

thanks for the heads up. is there a specific name for this tape? what should i search for, just "clear tape"?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 08:31:52 AM »
This is what I bought, comes in different widths and works well.    Really cheap
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline spencer_L&KC

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 09:00:20 AM »
This is what I bought, comes in different widths and works well.    Really cheap

thank you!