screen printing > Newbie

White waterbased ink cracking after drying

(1/1)

OhNoPrinting:
well, after I couldn´t get super reliable white with discharge, i switched to waterbased ink. Was a bit nervous about opacity, but: preflashed the shirt and first stroke already very nice white, then flash, print again. I flash again to take the shirt savely from the pallet to a drying rack and later to send them all in one go through the conveyor dryer.

I let the shirts go 2 times, each 160 degree C for around 1.20 min. After that I stretched it: cracking. Decided to send them two more times: this run with 180 degree C and 1.20min. still the ink cracks. Pressed them in a last effort with the heat press for 30 sec at 160 degree. still cracking. (did 99 sec on a test-shirt: still same outcome)

I read that I can:
- overheat the ink (but after 2 runs in the dryer it was already cracking?)
- use too much ink?
- not getting the ink deep enough? (i already used a 43t and a lot of force)

Is there anything else I can try now? or is it learning experience and I have to do it again?

screenxpress:
The first thought in my mind is how STRONG are you stretching?  Any ink will crack given enough force unless you have also used a stretch additive (not used that often but I have on girls stretchy shirts).  I guess stretch the shirt close to or a little more than it would stretch when worn.

I'm sure there are others here to chime in with lots better answers but that was my first thought.

Rockers:

--- Quote from: OhNoPrinting on April 07, 2024, 08:42:00 AM ---well, after I couldn´t get super reliable white with discharge, i switched to waterbased ink. Was a bit nervous about opacity, but: preflashed the shirt and first stroke already very nice white, then flash, print again. I flash again to take the shirt savely from the pallet to a drying rack and later to send them all in one go through the conveyor dryer.

I let the shirts go 2 times, each 160 degree C for around 1.20 min. After that I stretched it: cracking. Decided to send them two more times: this run with 180 degree C and 1.20min. still the ink cracks. Pressed them in a last effort with the heat press for 30 sec at 160 degree. still cracking. (did 99 sec on a test-shirt: still same outcome)

I read that I can:
- overheat the ink (but after 2 runs in the dryer it was already cracking?)
- use too much ink?
- not getting the ink deep enough? (i already used a 43t and a lot of force)

Is there anything else I can try now? or is it learning experience and I have to do it again?

--- End quote ---

What ink are you using? Permaset?

OhNoPrinting:
I guess normal wear is ok, but i don´t need to stretch too much to see these cracks..

The ink is from a local distributor - my guess is, he is rebranding it and it could be AMEX MANOUKIAN, but that is really just a guess and i don´t want to write, so i don´t bad mouth anybody because i can print :-)

Also the ink might just be old? I read, that waterbased ink gets funky?

Rockers:

--- Quote from: OhNoPrinting on April 08, 2024, 08:45:07 AM ---I guess normal wear is ok, but i don´t need to stretch too much to see these cracks..

The ink is from a local distributor - my guess is, he is rebranding it and it could be AMEX MANOUKIAN, but that is really just a guess and i don´t want to write, so i don´t bad mouth anybody because i can print :-)

Also the ink might just be old? I read, that waterbased ink gets funky?

--- End quote ---
There are Matsui whites that crack too when being stretched. really depends on how much you stretch. Permaset inks do easily crack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version