Author Topic: 3140 tripping the breaker . . .  (Read 7241 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
3140 tripping the breaker . . .
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
we have what I believe to be the first generation of the 3140 (made in 97) and it is tripping a breaker. It used to do it right after striking, but am told is doing it mid run now too. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: 3140 tripping the breaker . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
Could just be a weak breaker or loose connection. Personally I would tighten all the connections first, no cure swap breakers before go looking for something else. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »
Could just be a weak breaker or loose connection. Personally I would tighten all the connections first, no cure swap breakers before go looking for something else.

thanx! swapped the breaker already. Maybe the one I put in is old too. Would not be the first time a used part was not good. I'll try that.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
Everytime a breaker trips it becomes weaker. If it still breaks a brand new breaker definetely get it figured out or else you'll just be replacing expensive breakers often.
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
Is it a dedicated run only to the exposure unit? I have an older model too and we had to run a dedicated plug to it. If anyone plugged something in it would trip it mid run. Once we ran a dedicated plug to it, it has not happened since.

We found that the root of our problem was degraded wiring from the age of the building.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Northland

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
The key to troubleshooting this type of issue is the use of a clamp-on-ammeter. It will tell you exactly what the amp draw is and if that exceeds your breaker rating.
Here's my favorite troubleshooting tool.
http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Electrical-Test-Tools/Electrical-Testers/Fluke-T5.htm?PID=55986&trck=t5

Some day I'll post a video about using it.
I bet there's several on YouTube already.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
The key to troubleshooting this type of issue is the use of a clamp-on-ammeter. It will tell you exactly what the amp draw is and if that exceeds your breaker rating.
Here's my favorite troubleshooting tool.
http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Electrical-Test-Tools/Electrical-Testers/Fluke-T5.htm?PID=55986&trck=t5

Some day I'll post a video about using it.
I bet there's several on YouTube already.

DUH!!! You'd think I'd thought of that! I was just being lazy and hoping for some insight first, but you are right. A clamp on will let me know exactly. I'll go do that now . . .

pierre

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
I,m beating its weak wires over time or a connection needs tighten...your getting an arc somewhere in your lines hope you get all fixed.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
I,m beating its weak wires over time or a connection needs tighten...your getting an arc somewhere in your lines hope you get all fixed.

Darryl

we moved in here three years ago and I ran a brand new line for the 3140. I doubt there is anything wrong with it as it has been doing it from the day one. It's just that it used to be once a month and it's once a day now.

pierre

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »
Connections.  We all know how you like to half-@ass things.  ;D

Actually, it could be that, how hot is your panel getting?  Ours would always trip when we running a lot of juice at once.  The panel would almost be too hot to handle.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
Connections.  We all know how you like to half-@ass things.  ;D

Actually, it could be that, how hot is your panel getting?  Ours would always trip when we running a lot of juice at once.  The panel would almost be too hot to handle.

'did check that when I replaced the breaker. It's a 200A panel dedicated to the press and dryer.  We might have 50A going through it normally. Two flashes will draw about 75A when on, but otherwise dryer and press combined are about 50A.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
I used to have a main (outside) breaker that would trip in the summer when the sun beat down on it all day.

Something about exposure units just leads to corroded/burnt connections. Pop it open and take a whiff, power
cut of course.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
power cut of course.

LOL, or my power will be cut!!!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
pierre, does unit have any fuses in it? my old M&R dryer use to trip breakers until I change out the box that held the fuses even though it seem to hold the fuses tight they were arcing once I changed that it was fine.  Something getting hot and overloading on yain your unit, wish I could be more help to ya.... you might even want to check the holders for your bulb I know it gets hot.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
is it a metal halide bulb?

the capacitors might need to be looked at - ive changed the capacitors in a douthitt exposure because they werent able to make the bulb strike. might be something similar in your 3140.  just an idea.