Author Topic: upgrading my old Harco flash element project (pics)  (Read 813 times)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
upgrading my old Harco flash element project (pics)
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »
The top pic is a new 18 x 24 element from Black Body cost about 140.00 . The bottom pic is the old one that kept buring the left wire off once a week.

The new element smoked just a little then went away now it smells a bit but I assume that's ok like turing on a furance that hasnt been on for awhile kinda smell... just hope it goes away.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: upgrading my old Harco flash element project (pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »
Yeah that smell will go away. When I got a new flash I was scared because it starting smoking and smelling but I guess its just burning off any oils/dirt that was on the panel before being plugged in.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
Yeah that smell will go away. When I got a new flash I was scared because it starting smoking and smelling but I guess its just burning off any oils/dirt that was on the panel before being plugged in.

That puts my mind at ease lol!

140.00 vrs 800.00 for a flash this size = 660.00 savings! Not too shabby and kinda of eco freindly fixing the old. ;D

The heat is more even and hotter.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:47:35 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
You replaced the calrod with a IR unit? Upgrade!

I've heard it doesn't matter either way, but I think the insulation and "black radiating surface" of the
IR panels does make for a more even heat.