Author Topic: Guessing Game  (Read 4037 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Guessing Game
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
Just for giggles. "Split Fountain".......anyone know the meaning of the term? Andy can't play (my rules).
First correct response gets........well nothing.
tp

Offline Clark

Re: Guessing Game
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
Putting two ink colors on the same screen and making them fade together?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
Just for giggles. "Split Fountain".......anyone know the meaning of the term? Andy can't play (my rules).
First correct response gets........well nothing.
tp

Wasn't it originally an offset printing term? Something about adding two colors of ink to the same ink reservoir. Just vaguely remembering what someone told me long ago...

All I know is in screen printing it's just another term for "pain in the ass".
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
Both correct. It was a pain in the ass but often necessary back when 8 color presses were rare. We also used to use the technique on cut pieces....waterbase belt printing.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
Keith from ICC was telling us about standing in front of the press and adding a spoonful of ink after every stork to keep the inks from mixing and doing it for hours on . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »
This design was originally done as posters. Gold/dark orange split fountain (horizontally), light blue, black.

When it came time to put it on a shirt, I looked at the split and said eff that noise. I dropped it into CorelDraw and did a fade from 100% to 0% downward on the gold, and the opposite fade up on the orange. 55lpi halftone, round dot. Came out very smooth and most importantly, easy and consistent.

Since these were going on Gildan sand color, I did the gold and orange w/ discharge to give them more pop. The light blue and black was regular wb.

There's some nice secondary green and brown highlights in there from overprint areas. (not the greatest pic...)

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:06 PM »
Nice Evo I think I remember that from another post. Another reason we used this technique was that halftone printing was a coveted secret (pre-computer). We'd use Lettraset halftones that came in a box and cut them by hand. So halftone color blending was clumsy at best for many.
BTW I'm not that old just started early
tp
Oh BTW anyone know the Serigraph artist who exploited this technique to the nth degree?
Hint.......its not Warhol

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »
Nice Evo I think I remember that from another post. Another reason we used this technique was that halftone printing was a coveted secret (pre-computer). We'd use Lettraset halftones that came in a box and cut them by hand. So halftone color blending was clumsy at best for many.
BTW I'm not that old just started early
tp
Oh BTW anyone know the Serigraph artist who exploited this technique to the nth degree?
Hint.......its not Warhol

Ugh Ugh... Peter Max.  No,  ugh.   He has a shop called Serigraphia.  What was his name?  From north Florida right?
Greg Keith. Fort Walton Beach. Fl.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
Here's my last split fountain job. Not so artsy, but typical of my market
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »
We'd use Lettraset halftones that came in a box and cut them by hand. So halftone color blending was clumsy at best for many.
When I put my screen printing career on hold years ago, computer seps were still relatively new. When I started it was all about the rubylith, swivel knife and opaquer pens. (and Letraset typefaces and patterns...)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »
We'd use Lettraset halftones that came in a box and cut them by hand. So halftone color blending was clumsy at best for many.
When I put my screen printing career on hold years ago, computer seps were still relatively new. When I started it was all about the rubylith, swivel knife and opaquer pens. (and Letraset typefaces and patterns...)

Swivel knife? You wuss!
And, I still use opaquing pens when needed.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
Don't forget the diffusion transfer technique! We used a chemical known as Zipatone. Anyone who knows my full last name can understand why Zip was my moniker for about five ys in the 80s.
tp

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »

Swivel knife? You wuss!
And, I still use opaquing pens when needed.

Not mine, the boss's. I'd swipe it when he wasn't looking.

This was my usual weapon:

Awhile back I grabbed a fixed blade and scraped off a huge part of an inkjet film I'd just printed (forgot to remove a thick line). Reminded me of old times cleaning up bad camera work that the shop manager used to hand me.  :D

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
#11 for me, and I hope that my 3/4 full box like this lasts me until I don't need' em anymore!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »
I learned it as a bleed in '75 on shirts, but read about it later as an offset term. We had a vastex that had a stretcher on it, and the squeegee was attached to a holder with bearings that moved horizontally, not vertically. We would put 2 colors in the screen, then add this "waxy" reducer(?) that Wilflex made to make it a short body ink, and that would help keep the blend in the middle, though after 4 or 5 dozen, we'd have to clean out and put fresh inks in.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't