Author Topic: Low tension screens  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Low tension screens
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
I ordered 12 aluminum screens last week, 2 with 155 mesh, 5 with 200 mesh and 5 with 305 mesh.
I decided to degrease them tonight but just before I started, I decided to measure the tension.

Both 155's were at 21 newtons, all 305's were around 19-20 and I had 2 from 200's at 19-20 newtons and 3 of them were at 12.5.

Should I go back to the seller and ask for the money back or new screens to be sent to me for those that are 12 newtons?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Low tension screens
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
I would that is a big difference!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »
I'd ask for replacements or a refund. 12.5nm is awfully low. I wonder, though, how many people who use statics measure the tension, and how often a company that sells new frames get complaints similar to yours? My guess is seldom. Tension meters seem to be pretty low on most folks must-have list, unless they're using retensionables, because they're expensive. I bought a used one early on because I thought I was going to make my own frames and moved to retensionabes right after.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »
I would also send them back. (I have before. The guy that made the screens was shocked at how low they were, they learned to make better screen because of it) 12.5n that is just bad. Let them sell them to someone that doesn't know. I tell my suppliers that I need no less than 20 (25n now lets see how long they last). I cut the mesh out of screens that are under 15n. I think it is a good idea for you to start sending back screens that are low. If you don't the supplier will just keep sending you whatever. We are the customer in this situation and we are right? (like that works anymore)

The truth is unless you demand better quality from your supplier they will not change. It is in their best interest to change and start sending you better. We have plenty of suppliers to choose from. If they say they can't send you better then tell them you’re moving on to someone that can. The quality of the screens have a part in the quality of your prints. Don't let them control how good a printer you can be.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:55:50 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »
I'd ask for replacements or a refund. 12.5nm is awfully low. I wonder, though, how many people who use statics measure the tension, and how often a company that sells new frames get complaints similar to yours? My guess is seldom. Tension meters seem to be pretty low on most folks must-have list, unless they're using retensionables, because they're expensive. I bought a used one early on because I thought I was going to make my own frames and moved to retensionabes right after.

Tipman makes a good point here. Most screen printers wouldn't even know what they are at. I run all statics (currently) and I have had a tension meter for most of my printing career. I like to know what they are at, it takes one variable out.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »
By the time I bought a tension meter, I had accumulated and used quite a number of static screens. 

Going back and checking the statics, I realized I had printed quite a few jobs with screens in the 13-15 range and never really experienced a printing problem. 

However, we all know a tighter tension makes better prints....and really, so does your supplier.  I'd return them. 

I'd "settle" for statics around 18, so you're 33% reduced already.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
you know what I'm going to say about this...

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:17 PM »
I know. Quit effin around and buy some retensionables...... Right? Update on the newmans I told you about in Long Beach. Neighbor had all 200 of them lying around not doing anything. Made a deal on a dozen of them. Should help with print quality

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:31:34 PM »

Same thing as me ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:40:30 PM »
Here is another question for the rest of ya. 

If the 305's need ot be in an area of 20 at min and 22-25 on average,  then the 200's need to be at a higher tension right?  They are thicker and stronger. Thus able to hold higher tensions.  and the 155's?  They are at 21?  Shouldn't they be up much higher like...i donno, maybe  30-35n?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:53:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies. John, I know what you wanted to say, retensionable screens are in the plans, but not right now. If this becomes a bigger production and a full time job, yes.
Dan, if I can get them all to be around 20, I'm a happy camper.

Here is the pic.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
12.5n never used, imagine what they will settle in at after work hardened, damn right you should get a refund!
"No man is an island"

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Here is another question for the rest of ya. 

If the 305's need ot be in an area of 20 at min and 22-25 on average,  then the 200's need to be at a higher tension right?  They are thicker and stronger. Thus able to hold higher tensions.  and the 155's?  They are at 21?  Shouldn't they be up much higher like...i donno, maybe  30-35n?

Higher tensioned screens would run at lower off contact distances. This could be done if off contact on the press was set to zero and shims in the frame holders were used. Each tension level would require a different shim thickness. We try to run all meshes at 20- 22 newtons. I only use shims when I have a high density screen.
Dale Hoyal

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
Was it one side that was really low?  Did you do a four corner read as well as the center?

Seems like some of those guys (at least that I've dealt with in the past,) don't maintain their equipment very well...

Dan--that is a great point--I've pulled 50 newtons on a 156 mesh, work hardened it, and then transferred it on a static.  Went to 33 first reclaim, went to 25 second.  Looking down the edges, you can see the bow in the frame.
Perhaps you were trying to imply what John was going to say, but everyone knew.   :)

Just did it for my own experience, (and S&G,) but what many say is true in my observation, statics just won't hold high tension.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
As some of you might remember I picked up 60 Newman MZX's for a song.

I finally got a meter recently and threw it on some of the ones that still had mesh on them.  The ones that I thought were amazingly tight.  16n!  That's where they were... seemed tight like a drum!

Holy cow!  So I grabbed the screens I had been printing with... 11-13.

What a shocker.

I really got to get some mesh and get these guys set up!