Author Topic: Problem with trademarked design duplication?  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Problem with trademarked design duplication?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »
Speaking of ethics i just turned down a job that the customer wanted "I Love $luts" printed. Sorry can't print that, he was pissed and could not get out the door fast enough

What is wrong with that? That is his shirt and his opinion. Just do not save a sample, and you should be good to go :)

I don't want our business associated with it
Our business plans have some big things coming up. I may post about it in the religion board

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
Running your business as ethically as you personally can holding true to your values is a great thing.

Years ago I was presented with a conundrum.  I had a after hours meeting with members from  an organization to discuss their printing and embroidery needs.  if I took the job it would have been 10K a month CASH. Only issue it was for a White Supremest group.  I do not believe in that, not one bit, yet as a business owner I felt compelled to at least think about it.  10K guaranteed monthly would have moved my shop to 2 autos at the time yet the repercussions of even associating myself and my company with that was not something ethically I could do so I politely turned them down.

Business is Business and everybody's money is green yet some things are just not worth it.   Staying true to your beliefs and running your business is tough. I commend you on staying true. 

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »
I see duplication of a copyrighted/trademarked work as theft. Print a job like that and you are accessory to theft.

Using a copyrighted work as inspiration for a new idea is simply evolution. The line between imitation and inspiration is subjective, but it comes down to doing what you're comfortable with. You have to make the call and if it goes to court, it's a judge or some other body who makes the call, based on their opinion as the weather or not the work is "derivative". Fuzzy lines and grey areas are common...

You have to go with your gut and stick to your principles. I just did a job for a strip club. Scantily clad girl in front of a car. I have no problems with doing work of a sexual nature, because I don't find anything wrong with sex. I won't, however, put it in my online portfolio, out of respect for the fact that many people share my work with their kids (lots of children's book illos) and I don't want to offend them. I do this out of choice.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »
I won't, however, put it in my online portfolioant to offend them. I do this out of choice.

I have done the same with quite a bit of work as well.  Some things just aren't meant to be viewed by everyone.
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »
I'm going to screen printer's hell for some of the jobs I've taken on to make ends meet lol... I only refuse racist designs.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »
What nuns don't masturbate? LOL JK
What was the message they wanted to send?

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »
I'm going to screen printer's hell for some of the jobs I've taken on to make ends meet lol... I only refuse racist designs.

I'll print just about anything. I'm not the morality police but my FAQ says:

"Will you print dirty words on my shirt?
Sure. Nobody has sent us a design yet that we wouldn't print.
We reserve the right to refuse to print anything, but you'd have to get pretty crass before we'd exercise that right.
We don't roll with bigots or  haters."
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com