Author Topic: marking screen mesh count?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

marking screen mesh count?
« on: February 15, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »
How do you all mark your frames with the corresponding mesh count. I use a fat sharpie on the permanent water proof protective tape we line the shirt side of the frame and on the mesh in the corners. After 3 or 4 cycles the marking is barely visible.

Any solutions are much appreciated.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Re: marking screen mesh count?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »
when i used static frames permanent marker on all four sides of the frame, the silver seemed to stay on best. Now with the roller frames I mark the screen in the upper right corner three or four reclaims and its still there.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »
I have a set of stamps.  I tap the mesh count on the frame. 

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »
we mark the corners of the mesh with a standard sharpie then paint over it with a thin coat of fiberglass resin, we use this stuff often for other things so ut is a simple second application...lasts FOREVER.
On the frame we clean an area of the frame with solvent, MEK, Lacquer thinner etc. Black sharpie then cover it with clear packing tape it also lasts forever.

we thought of using clear nail polish to cover the sharpie ink but don't seem to have any around, but now that I think of it why not colored nail polish to color code the corner of the mesh or the frame or both.same color coding system as surloc panels.

Once someone on here mentioned once that there were industrial ink sharpies that did not wash out you might search for that topic .
Best of luck

mooseman 
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
Didn't some link to an industrial Sharpie at one point?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
At the ISS Long Beach show I took a class about this stuff. I wish I could remember the guys name... He said use bumper sticker material with a industrial sharpie. Just stick the bumper sticker material on the side or end of the screen. I haven't tried it but sounds like it would work.

I have been using a Paint Pen and marking the end of each frame. It lasts a long time if you don’t clean that area too hard.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »
Didn't some link to an industrial Sharpie at one point?

I got some at Staples. I could only find black.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:50:10 PM »
I have a client that is a urology place and they use the industrial sharpies for their "specimen" cups.  It's one of the only thing that sticks to that plastic.

Note the red label to them.

But I'm digging the color coded nail polish idea!  Mooseman is ALWAYS out of the box!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »
I mark the short side with a sharpie then put a strip of clear packing tape and it lasts for as long as the screen mesh does. Just make sure the clear tape is flush on the roller and doesn't have any place for water to seep in and start attacking the adhesive.  Surprisingly the packing tape will stay on in a dip tank and whatever else we've thrown at them.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »
We use colored duct tape on the short side, have about 8 different colors in total.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
sharpies and paint markers under tape is fine and dandy.. until that screen takes a bath in a squeegee washing tank or safety clean style re-circ chemical tank and gets followed up with a dehaze. When I'm done, it's a blank clean frame all round. I have to use a mesh finder most days as all the markings have been washed off.

I used to use colored zip ties but they get in the way of the roller master table wrenches so I've taken to writing the counts on the tube end wrench flats. Tank chemical doesn't seem to bother it much there like on the side of the frame that gets wiped and brushed in the wash cycle. So far so good. We'll see how long it lasts before I have to re-apply.

I like the resin idea, have to see if it's compatible with the wash chemical. If it's good then my marking problems are solved.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 02:40:45 AM »
Dymo embossed label maker (the labels stay on and last indefinitely, even in a dip tank) and/or industrial Sharpie.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
Here's a few pics of some older screens, these are a few years old and have been through production many times.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.