Author Topic: lagitimacy of turn times.  (Read 876 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
lagitimacy of turn times.
« on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:56 AM »
I see turn times as fast as 1 hour on art services and I know they are individuals and not some multi staffed foreign service department in India.

I find it both funny and less than lagit for those who promote hourly turn times and next day service (from an individual). If you were a company that had multi staff members like more than just you, that could turn stuff out, it's understandable, to claim 2-6 or 24 hour turn times. If you are not a multi staffed service, and claim several hour turn time, than what you are saying is,  (I have no other customers and only expect to service YOU as my one and only customer for that day.

It seems to be a trending marketing tool to pull you in.

Couldn't each print shop offer a 3 hour turn time or next day service....if you only had (ONE) customer for the day and his order was simple and small in size?

Just saying.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: lagitimacy of turn times.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 06:11:21 AM »
when i had a real job some of my co-workers would post a sign in their work area that went something like this
......FAILURE ON YOUR PART TO PROPERLY PLAN AND ACT IN REASONABLE TIME DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON OUR PART, WE ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE YOUR ANSWER TODAY AND TOMORROW ISN'T LOOKING TO GOOD EITHER.

in one way or another I have been directly serving a customer for the better part of 44 years and no matter hard you try or how often you meet goals customers will just reach for the sky when it is their money / need and your sweat. Bt the same token if the tables were turned they would find their own expectations / demands unrealistic.

It is just the way humans do business ........there is no good delivery some are just more acceptable than others.
the one hour turn time bait is just that...bait. How long did it take Michelangelo to paint the chapel on the other hand you can get your car painted for $250.00 and back to you in 24 hours , the trick is striking the balance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:19:04 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
Dan that is a yes and no question, we have done a job in 2 days for a customer, but they paid for it big time and we prayed that ups would come on time with our shipment.  I think if you have shirts in stock and the art is simple yes, but most of us don't stock butt loads of T's and would surely ask for 5 to 10 working days.  We had a customer yesterday wanted some embroidery done on the spot sure we might could have done it while he waited, but murphy's law always pops its ugly head up, so why do it.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:47:22 AM »
I know that I reached a certain level of serenity a few years ago when I started giving myself some breathing room in my promised deadlines.
When folks are browsing now and ask, I add the caveat, "usually" or "unless I'm slammed". When they actually place the order, however, I do make what amounts to a promise,
lost shipments and power outages notwithstanding.

As for the "individuals" promising miraculous turnarounds, I will remind all that the internet and web based business invite deceit, or at least smoke and mirrors.
What seems like a large factory and/or warehouse can actually be a desktop computer in a dorm room, in touch with other warehouses and factories.
Conversely, an "individual" often turns out to be an individual all right, but one who farms out work to numerous others.

In the case of Dan's "individuals", perhaps they know their usual workload, and either just go mad during busy spells, or like me, have figured out how to disappoint (with a warning explanation) when necessary.
Their one hour claim, in fact, could also just be a marketing ploy that is often not met as Dan surmised as well. It probably works. I know that the 24 Hour Fitness club here in town is open from 6am -10 pm.
I have not tried the local Two Day Blinds store. ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:15 AM »
Since I've been dragged back into the music merch biz (yes, kicking and screaming), I have gotten re-acquainted with the "Every day is Hot Market day". It's not for the squeamish. Last minute approvals and same day service. "Where are we shipping to?" "I don't know when will the shirts be ready? We are on tour." "Can you ship overnite to Canada?" "Wait, the guitarist just saw the digital and doesn't like the red. Can you change it and send a new digital?"
Thats all day  every day here.
tp

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
A friend of mine does all the art for his company and at one time did it all by himself, he would be slapped like a tennis ball, often getting really bad headaches...he finally got some help to ease the art load.  Fast turn around times takes careful planning to avoid costly mistakes.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!