Author Topic: Discharge ink disposal.  (Read 8993 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Discharge ink disposal.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »
I tried it but to be honest cat litter or sawdust will work as well. When I worked for a paint company we had barrels of sawdust to get rid of old paint, after it dried out toss it in the dumpster. I guess we could do the same with discharge the only thing that concerned me was paint is an air dry coating where as discharge ink is a heat cure product. Im not sure if you just absorb the water would the remaining solids be harmful? idk im rambling.

Very good point. And something I am going to address with all three ink reps I am talking to about this. I do believe the chemical we are introducing into the discharge mix does complete a solid mix reaction unlike cat litter or sawdust but I could be completely wrong. That is why I am trying to get 100% accurate answers here and anywhere really.
I would like to know what you find out but I would imagine the ink reps will be apprehensive about giving a straight answer for liability issues but if they do definitely post what you find, Thanks.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:50:06 AM »
Cookie sheets...

pour the ink in when done and run through the dryer.

Peel and toss in the trash.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
This is a copy/paste from a major website selling quite a bit of discharge ink.

"Clean Up: Card off excessive ink and dispose of in trash. Use Sprayway Water Base Screen Opener or Enviro Solve to break down ink then wipe residue from screens, screen frames, squeegees and any surfaces in contact with ink. Left over residue can also be washed in the sink with water after soaking"

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
Just week we had a former employee of a very, very large shop here in the Pacific NW stop by to say hi. Super great guy. He was head of R&D at the company for a few years. He said they had a waste company come and properly dispose of all of their left over discharge, water base, and plastisol inks. He said they tried to recycle what they could but at that level when you have 55 gallon drums of leftover inks every other week nothing is going to work but a waste company. We are nowhere near that level! Hahaha. Oh my lord no. But we do collect 5 gallon buckets of leftover discharge every few months. And the chemical we dumped in to harden it did nothing. So back to taking it to the Transfer Station/Dump for proper disposal in the state of WA which would be incinerating. Seems like it would just be released in the air but I assume the extreme temp hopefully just destroys everything.

We do recycle our plastisol inks though

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
I just wonder where the website got the info to card off leftover discharge ink in the trash and wash residue down the drain.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »
I see the word "Enviro" in there and I believe I know exactly what website you are talking about. The company begins with an R, correct?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
That's the one. And not only that it is in a roundabout way where  I witnessed it actually happening.
Makes me wonder if it is ok. If the water evaporates would it be ok?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »
Incinerating is safe for air quality.  They have to install such serious air cleaners it's not funny.  My brother in law works for a company that installs and maintains them.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »
Incinerating is safe for air quality.  They have to install such serious air cleaners it's not funny.  My brother in law works for a company that installs and maintains them.

Awesome. Great to know. Thanks!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
Engineering buddy of mine was telling me about furnaces that use old car tires for fuel and
some serious air scrubbing afterwards. I dunno, maybe it was an engineering April fools joke.